DanaRuns

Where To Fill My Tires?

New (used) motorhome owner, here. We are two women who just bought our first motorhome. The problem is I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO FILL MY TIRES! There isn't a gas station near me where I can get my 35' motorhome up close to the air station, and even if I could the hose doesn't reach far enough. How in the world do I fill my tires?

Sorry for the ridiculously stupid question.

If you have a diesel motrhome you have a built in air source. If you have a gasser I would suggest buying a small portable pancake compressor rated to 150 psi. Remember to air the tires to the recommended pressure from the tire manufacturers chart based on the weight of each corner. Pressures should only be adjusted when tire is cold not after its been driven.

There is a lot of info on this forum; do a search for air pressure, weight, etc.

Dana,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Many safe and enjoyable travels!

There are no stupid questions!!! We are all on a learning curve. Things are always changing and the forum members will always be willing to help and pass on some helpful information.

Rich.

Type of compressors to buy for MH tires just bought new Thor Tuscany 40ex have air but do not know if I have hose for tires

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Check with Thor and/or your chassis maker for the location of your air chuck. It is likely just a chuck and you will have to buy a hose and fitting.

Welcome to the world of "everything you thought you knew about cars no longer applies" :-)

Actually there are many similarities but there are some new things you need to realize, but there is information and help available.

Your tires are basically truck tires and just as you don't see tractor-trailers at your local gas station you will need to get familiar with truck stops.

BUT

if you check the brand tires you have you should be able to call a local tire dealer and ask if they have the space for you to pull in so you can have the tires aired up. If they are servicing the brand they sell they should be willing to help at no charge.

You might check out my blog on RV tires www.RVTireSafety.com I think you will find the info you need to know on your larger tires there. If you still have questions you can always post here at FMCA.

You could stop by a Tire Shop that specializes in HD Truck service. Usually lots of room to maneuver.

As well, most Truck Fuel islands have long air hoses. Someplace like Flying J / Pilot, or Loves.

If you run a +10% on inflation over the minimum needed to carry the load you will have a few advantages.

1. You will not have to chase the +/- couple of psi you can expect to see due to changes in Ambient temperature.

2. If you monitor your inflation with a TPMS and see a slow drop of say 1% or 2% a month (which is NOT abnormal) you will have advance warning of the need for a few psi.

If you need to add say 3 psi you can do this when the tires are warm if you do the following.

A. Measure the tires when cold.

B Record the number of psi needed for each tire. Will probably be slightly different for each tire.

C When you get to a truck stop that has air, simply measure the hot pressure and add the number of psi needed in "B" above plus 1 or 2 psi.

D Next morning when the tires are again cool you check with your hand gauge and you should find you are at the cold inflation you need or maybe + 1 or 2 psi which you can easily let out.

This approach avoids the need for carrying a compressor around. I think you will be better served by having accurate digital pressure gauge and TPMS than a compressor.

Dana,

It doesn't show where you are based, but if you are in the West, the best place to get tires filled is a Les Schwab. They all have a 'truck' area where you can pull around and they have LONG hoses and are more than happy to check/fill your tires for free.

Buy an air compressor. I check my pressure before every trip. It takes just a minute or two. Last week I left Houston in the upper 60's and drove to San Antonio. When we left yesterday, I was 8 lbs low in two tires and 5-7 low in the rest just do to air temp changes. Low pressure is a major player in blowouts.

Glad to be a new member.

JJ