manholt

Shut-Off Valve for City to Coach Water

I have the shrink plastic pipes for all plumbing. The valve that allows me to change from city to coach water tank has failed and I'm on city only. I have tried all the usual places to find a replacement ... none! AMC parts dept. none.

I even had the pre-rally tech's look at it...no help! Now, my vice grips don't even work anymore...HELP!

I'm in Galax, VA. Tomorrow, I'll be in Roanoke Rapids, N.C., for a week.

Carl C.

You probably have a three way ball valve to select city or to fill your fresh water tank. It should be brass or stainless steel. Try a hydraulics or pneumatics distributor to see if they have a replacement valve.

If you do get a 3 way valve, try to replace with stainless steel if possible. Stainless is more forgiving during cold weather conditions.

Thanks to all. It's not a 3 way or inline, has nothing to do with filling coach water tank. This is a L or elbow with a ball valve, does not have treads on either end, heat shrink, 1/2"...it's only function is to send water from city to inside of coach or from water tank via water pump to coach!

Thank you! I will head back to Lowes tomorrow...I forgot about Pex. The young Customer Service plumbing rep. told me they had nothing to fix my problem...I did not want to possibly prove him wrong. He had no legs, I saluted him and left!

Carl C.

If using shark bite, or gator bite, or whatever name they are called, depending on where you get them, these are push on fittings that do not require a crimping tool. Just remember to carefully debur the outside of the pipe.

there is an o-ring that makes the seal, and if you snag that ring, it will leak.

If you are plumbing savvy, two inline check valves can be used to eliminate the need for manual valve. Place the first one immediately after the city water entrance, the second one between the pump outlet and the entrance to the main water plumbing where it enters the pipe. This system works well, especially if there is an accumulator in your system, if there is not one, can be added very easily. No more having to use a manual valve.

I think my coach was built on a "hung over" Monday! My city water connection is in utility compartment, along with the aforementioned fresh water tank/city water switch.

My other 2 way "on/off" or "fill/bypass" valve for city water to Coach fresh water tank is in the sewage macerator compartment. You can also fill fresh water tank from the outside with a hose!

You can't get fresh water into coach system, unless it's city water pressure or in-house pump, that's normal. What's not normal to me, is a on/off elbow ball switch!

I will be back on Island in 10 days (keep coach in Dickenson)...I'll be happy to show you, Brett.

I'm now in Roanoke Rapids, NC. Have checked out Lowes, Home Depot, Wall Mart and Grainger Sy.
No luck! I have looked for cut off valves, ball valves, by pass valves in brass, copper, stainless,
nylon, plastic and come up empty!

I put this info out to the American Coach Forum...nothing useful from owners of newer coaches.
All replies so far has been 98' 99' and 2000'!

Carl C.