Sign in to follow this  
rga48

Bad Batteries or Bad Inverter/Charger

I have four 6 volt AGM house batteries that are 5 years old. Recently two of the batteries in the same series line have bulged significantly and test BAD. The other two batteries in the other series line test good. Is it just bad batteries or is the charger overcharging. I have an Airpax Dimensions Inverter/Charger which has a three stage charger with the switch correctly set for battery type.

Really no way to tell at this point. Bulging batteries does normally means overcharging.

But, one bad cell and a perfect charger will WAY overcharge basically what is now a 10 VDC battery instead of a 12 VDC one.

And, if the charger is overcharging (particularly on float) it can do the same thing.

I would take the suspect 2 and have them checked by Interstate. AGM's are good, but like tires, you

got to change them out.

I got 2 AGM's as starter batteries in February 2014...replaced with 2 new AGM on August 19, 2014!

Dead Cell.

My house batteries will be 5 years old, next year. Not looking forward to getting 8...lol

Carl C.

I replaced the four AGM batteries and I'm still having trouble with the inverter. So I guess I need to replace the inverter. Do you have any suggestions for 2000 Watt Inverter with 3 120 VAC outputs?

I see more and more people talking about AGM batteries, in the earlier days they were priced quite a bit higher than now. Do most people going from the T-105 6 volts just go to a 6 volt AGM or is there a higher capacity 12 volt AGM that makes it worth while to just go to four AGM twelves, close to getting rid of my Norcold fire starter and trying to get the most bang in the room provided--thanks

r+mbus,

Not much difference in price for the same amp-hrs of 12 VDC between 6 VDC and 12 VDC for the AGM's. Mostly an issue with what fits into your OE battery tray.

Most battery websites have battery dimensions so you can determine what will best fit. Example, if you have plenty of room above the batteries, you could go from a T105 to T125.