Sign in to follow this  
loriscribe

"Winterizing" Home Water Heater

I snowbird each year, and a friend asked me how she could winterize her gas water heater after I was describing my procedure for "winterizing" the house (specifically, draining the water lines and turning off the electric water heater). Since my water heater is inside the house, I just trip the breaker and call it good.

Anybody have any methods for safely leaving an inside gas water heater for three or so months in an area that gets frequent subfreezing temps in winter?

Tnx,

Lori

House type water heaters usually have a valve at the bottom of the tank that you can screw a standard water hose to, then put the outlet of the water hose outside in a lower than the water heater location. Turn of the gas supply, or electric if electric, open the valve where the hose is attached, also open a hot water faucet in the house, so that air can enter the system, otherwise an air lock will prevent the tank from draining. This is actually recomended to be done once a year by most manufacturers to remove sediment from the tank, which will slow the heating process if it does accumulate.

Happy snowbirding!!!

Forgot to mention that you must turn off the water supply to the water heater for obvious reasons, most plumbers install a shut off valve on the cold water supply to the water heater.

I work for a company that restores homes after a fire. Many times these homes won't have heat for several months in the winter (Colorado).

Our procedure is to have a plumber use compressed air to blow out the water in the hot and cold lines at all faucets, drain the water heater, and then use RV antifreeze in the toilet tanks, toilet bowls, washing machines, dishwashers, and all drains.

This is kind of extreme, but you didn't say if they were going to leave the heat running or not.

Chris g.
F3508s