Sign in to follow this  
HarveyWhite

Bought A New Phaeton

Getting a little discouraged with getting all the bugs worked out. We have had so far:

The steps broke the pivot bolt slammed shut on the wife's foot it hurt her ankle thank God it just bruised it. Had another set put on in La.

Driver slide won't hold. Have to stop every 50 miles or so, set the brake and put it in.

All the drawers on the dash, and one on the step won't stay in. Tiffin said they have a fix drawer latches. Why didn't they installed at the factory?

Guess I expected too much. It's back at the dealer now to get all this work done. Hope all else goes well with this coach. My hat is off the the dealer. They have done everything in their power to get it repaired. It was a long trip to Jackson Miss and back wresting with that slide. This coach has the def and I also had a engine shut down due to that. The Freightliner dealer said two months to leave it. Took it to Cummins. Had to buy the part from Freightliner take it to Cummins and they installed it.

So far roughing it smoothly has been real aggravating and time consuming. Other than that it's a great coach. Sorry for the long post just needed to vent. Lol

you are not the first one to have major problems with a PHAETON. All those I know had to live the same situation. A few trips back and forth to the plant in Alabama.

Just Watch for the Windows: once the warranty is over, you may be faced with mist in the Windows. Tiffin will offer to replace the Windows at cost plus labor. Cheap Windows glasses ........

Congrats on the new coach. I know what you mean about getting the bugs out of a new coach. We own a 14 Winnebago Journey and are having some problems also. I guess they all have a break in period, not too be funny. But I do have to ask what was the DEF problem that you had and what was the part that needed to be replaced? I hope that everything goes well with your repairs and that your back on the road soon.

You know what, ALL manufacturers seem to be having more of these problems as they shift more toward putting out new product as fast as they can. We had a neighbor in March who had a 2014 Newmar King Air. They were on the way to the factory with a list of 34 problems, and this was their second such trip. We're talking about a $800K+ coach. If you read the Fleetwood forums, you see as many or more complaints.

I think they all are saying, "Just get them out the door, we'll fix any problems that crop up later!" What a poor attitude for we consumers. I think the solution is buying used rather than new in our case. In this way hopefully all these problems have been worked out before we get the coach.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Seems like too many for that kind of money. Glad I bought a 1990 Bluebird this summer. Way less than 10% of this cost, Have close to 10,000 miles on it. A few minor problems, but not much.

So true, I bought this new one thinking that the old coach would start giving me problems, I do know these are man made, and will have a few problems, and I can't take away from the dealer ,and Tiffin for being right on what ever problem I had or am having, just feel you buy one of these coaches at least get a trip or two before you have to get some things repaired. guess I'm a lucky puppy. You would think after reading the web sight and all the checking they do before it leaves the factory, then they drive it 900- 1400 to the dealer the problems would show up then, maybe they need better delivery drivers to report problems to the dealer, I know the drawers had to come out on him driving from Redbay to Lubbock TX. all & all it's going to be OK. feels better to vent......lol

It maybe that the delivery drivers do say something, but the dealers don't act on it. The things that I have found now count up to 10 and so far I have been able to fix 8. Feel really lucky about that. The leaky side window dealer fixed the Matrix for TV's need to be fixed.

Dealer should have caught all of the problems.

The majority of dealers are honest and stand up folks. Most can take care of most problem that they are made aware of before the sale. However there are things that do not pop up until the coach has bounced up and down on our wonderful highways. Things will come loose, become unplugged and yes some time fall in your lap. Keep in good standing with your dealer, get to know the factory tech and keep on Rving.

Herman

Plus many of the problems do not show up until the various systems are used for a while. A delivery guy will not, or should not have, used the various systems on the coach.

Hey guys thanks for the replies and listing to me whine. Like I said so far the dealer and Tiffin have been getting on with it. I should have my coach back this weekend and am going to take a trip to Dallas next week. Can't wait. That's what gets you your excited to go and then all these problems start overwhelming you kinda takes the wind out of your sail. Hopefully I've got past most of the problems.

Harvey

Heard from Ithe dealer today, seems Freightliner repaired the check engine light issue now my coach back at the dealer for the rest of the repairs. Hopefully it will be ready this week. Seems one od my kidds are missing can't wait to go to Lubbock and bring it home.

We bought a "slightly" used 1989 Foretravel Grand Villa with 63,000 miles on it. It sat in storage for nine years. Now has 78,000 miles on it. Major cost for fixing coach issues was $6 for a new circuit breaker. Well cared for, quality used is a whole bunch better!!

Yes sir, that is the key word quality. If you start off with it you have something to work with. My other coach was the first diesel pusher I ever drove, the Workhorse we had prior to that was good too-- just seemed everytime I turned around something was giving problems with the old one. My thinking was get a new one then keep it in good shape so that at the time I retire all is clear and we can stay on the road more ...

Went and picked up the coach today, all seems well at the present time. Going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Sure felt good driving it home. Thanks for all the input now we can proceed with the Rving.

We bought a "slightly" used 1989 Foretravel Grand Villa with 63,000 miles on it. It sat in storage for nine years. Now has 78,000 miles on it. Major cost for fixing coach issues was $6 for a new circuit breaker. Well cared for, quality used is a whole bunch better!!

Isn't Foretravel made here in Texas? They are really nice coaches. My neighbor has a Country Coach and wants to trade it in for one.

Our friends have a Foretravel and love it but this past summer a seal went on a slide, had to stop at the factory to have some replaced as the ones on their MH were pneumatic and inflated after the slide was out...I guess all MHs have their particular glitches...

I agree with you, no matter the make you are going to have some problems. I don't mind working on mine keeping things in check it's when it has to go to the dealer for something all the time it burns getting it there.

Harvey