rlbarkleyii

Winnebago Journey '02 34D HWH Slide & Level System Problems

Have a 2002 Journey with two slides. Purchased early 2013, Have replaced the HWH pump motor approximately six months ago.

Bought brand new motor, relays and switch from HWH and had dealer put it on. Now I am stuck again in a campground and can't retract my slides or level the coach. Haven't had time to trouble shoot yet. I would like to know if other Journey owners are having problems with the HWH leveler and slide systems installed on their Journeys and what they did to correct problem.

We also have a 2002 Journey DL, with the same HWH hydraulic set up, so I read with interest your problem. So far we have had no problems. Just for my own info, how much money are we talking about for your repairs?

What really concerns me with some of these resales is what the dealers do with them while they sit on the lot. I've seen numerous occassions where they move the coaches without retracting the slides! I can only imagine what this does to the slide alighnment.

Actionjackson

The first replacement of motor was $284.00 for the pump order, and aprox $400 for relays and labor. The second repair of rear switch short, was around $200 labor. I have again today had a problem with slides, and believe it is because of defective (old) battery's. I thought that I had discharged them and they just needed charging, but I sat all night n 50 amp campsite and monitor indicating that they were charging. However in the morning I could not retract slides. I am waiting for RV tech to retract slides, then i will replace battery's when I get home.

I wish the RV dealer I had do the work had tested the coach battery's and recommended replacement. I believe the previous motor replacement and my current problem were a result of low current from defective coach battery's.

The last time I thought my batteries were bad it ended up being the terminals connecting the batteries to the coach. Cleaning the terminal worked wonders. Perhaps this might help you!!!

The last time I thought my batteries were bad it ended up being the terminals connecting the batteries to the coach. Cleaning the terminal worked wonders. Perhaps this might help you!!!

Medico you are right! The Good Sam Road Assistace RV tech tightened the negative terminal hardware on the top of the battery's and suddenly everything worked as normal.

RV Tech pulled up in small tow truck, (young 20 something) took one look at cables and got a socket. He went straight to negative terminals, and tightened only the main post. He warned me not to tighten too much the plastic bridge device put on by coach by manufacturer. He stated they break easy. He suggest that when I get home, clean terminals, apply dielectric grease and re tighten to spec. Good Sam paid him to come out, and I paid $30.00 plus tip for labor. All in all a good day because i don't need battery's and Good Sam came through again.

"Never judge a book by it's cover", when this very young man who looked like a high school kid arrived, I thought, oh my, he probably didn't know anything, I was pleasantly wrong, he was polite, knowledgable, and competent, obviously having done this many times before.

Resolved my HWH hydraulics problem. Near as I can tell problem had to do with batteries and their contacts. Disassembled all leads on batteries and cleaned them, applied dielectric grease to same and reinstalled. Fully charged batteries to 13.4 VDC and everything worked fine.

Now I must replace the coach batteries because it is obvious that they are aged and take to long to reach full charge. When used to heat coach during cool night while parked without shoreline they go below 11.6 VDC before daybreak.

Sams Club sells group 31 baterys (AGM) for less than $150 each, that seems like good price, will look into that.

Any info about AGM versus lead acid would be helpful.

Also how much difference between premium batteries and regular.