Sign in to follow this  
brown774

Black & Gray Tanks For Storage

Cleaned both holding tanks and all level sensors are working now. Putting the coach in storage for a couple of months.

Should I now refill and put tank chemical in or just a minimal amount of water and chemical?

I think you should keep some liquid in there. If freezing weather then make that liquid a couple of gallons of RV anti-freeze if not, just a couple of gallons of water will do just fine. If you really mean just a couple of months then you likely don't need to do anything.

Brown 774.

Mine goes in garage at the end of Oct. to 15 Jan. I have engine and gen. serviced, tanks empty, house batteries topped off and engine batteries turned off. Mine is plugged in to 20 amps. All electric coach.

Carl C.

The less there is in the tanks, the less you have to drain and flush when you start traveling again. I'd leave them as dry as you can. Tilt the motor home so the drains are on the low side and drain as much liquid as you can from each tank.

Any bacteria growth and/or sludge will likely dry up over the storage time and can be rinsed out easily when you begin using the tanks again. A little residual moisture that you can't drain from the tanks will not cause any damage if the tanks freeze. You will never get rid of all of it and leaving water in the tanks simply leaves more moisture for bacteria to grow in. The storage tanks are heavy duty plastic and don't need moisture to keep them in good shape. Dry them out if possible!

The Valterra valves do dry out while sitting. Leave them open after clean, flush, and rinse. Come spring close the valves, pour a little cooking oil in each tank and then, after sitting for 1/2 a day, work the valves open and closed in order to get some lube in the valves. Subsequent use of the system will keep the valves lubed.