Sign in to follow this  
paulcarson

Palo Dura RV Park

Will be going to Canyon, TX to go through PD Canyon. Will be staying at the PD RV Park and was wondering if anyone has ever stayed there.

According to RV Reviews it looks rather basic but we are a couple of geezers and will be traveling with another couple of geezers so we do not need pool, playgrounds, etc. Just a place to rest in the afternoon and have a quiet night.

Looking for your responses.

Thanks.

Great park, great location. If you want to get even closer to PD canyon, there is camping within the park. We did not make that choice and had an excellent stay with another RVing friend at PD RV park. Just be careful on your way in and out. The entry/exit road has deep ditches on each side so you must swing wide on your way out. Our friend did not and I suspect his repair costs were quite extensive.

We stayed in the State Park down in the canyon. It is very nice and spacious where we were. Check it out. The road in and out is a little steep but very do-able. We had no problem.

Don

We stayed three weeks at the PD RV park and did some work camping this last spring. Quiet, windy, no showers. They are working on bringing the CG up to speed as it became quite rundown when the previous owner had it. Water supply and electric have been checked and quite a few of the back sites still needed work. Up front, first row behind the right end of the building are the best bet for level and water and electric. Sewer connections are good on some and might still need work on others. Those sites are very level, but are grass and gravel/rock so you might need pads if you use leveling jacks. They have a Zipline open on weekends, otherwise nothing else available. Wi-Fi usually when the owner has it on--up 'til about 11:00PM.

PDC park entrance is less than a 1/2 mile down the road.

Owner and employees are very friendly and helpful.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We have made reservations at Palo Dura RV Park for 5 nights beginning October 20.

Looking forward to the Canyon. Never been there.

Thanks again.

We camped at the park 2 years ago. It was a nice place and as we had never seen wild turkeys close up it was quite a thrill to watch them foraging in the campsites. We camped in a 28 ft class C pulling a Jeep Patriot and thought the site was more than adequate. The hiking trails are good from my limited experience, Lighthouse trail was fun but I did not go all the way there.

Don't miss going into Canyon City and the University Museum. Has everything you could imagine and a Georgia O'Keefe wing or room. I think we did three days at the camp ground which was a little rushed.

Yes the road into the park is somewhat breathtaking. If you have been driving around the western mountains or West Virginia you can probably do it OK. It is a steep grade to the bottom of the Canyon. Maybe a little tighter turns and steeper grade angle but my Ford E450 did not complain and the toad dutifully followed us to our campsite:-)

It is a great park that we just went to on a whim but would go back again. The town Canyon is quite nice and urbane so you can have your wilderness experience and see a world class museum all in the same day.

We have gone down into the park to camp and back out for the last 8 years in a 40 ft DP towing. I won't hesitate to do it in my 42 footer now, just haven't been there yet! Much better down there than up on the rim....