rdjl972

Welding To A Monaco Chassis

Does anyone know what needs to be done before welding to a Monaco Roadmaster chassis?

I have a make a modification of the battery compartment in my 2008 Camelot and need to do a small amount of welding.

I've done this before but can't remember the few things that need to be disconnected before welding.

Does anyone have a list?

Thanks for any help,

Rick

Rick, The items that need to be isolated that I know of are the Transmission and Engine ECM's on a number of chassis.

A call to Monaco would be the best way to get a complete list.

Rich.

If your welding in the battery compartment make sure you remove all of the batteries so not to cause an explosion from the sparks and gasses. Of course you should have the coach unplugged from shore power. I don't think you have to worry after all electric and batteries are removed.

Good point Rich, turn off both isolate switches for both house and chassis batteries.

Rick,

What size of a weld are talking about? If you are talking about several small spot welds them you may be OK. If you are talking about several long stringer beads them I would be very careful. Long stringer beads will cause heat effected area and weaken the frame. I know about welding but not much on what to disconnect before making the modifications. Might I suggest that if at all possible to secure with Stainless Steel fasteners rather then welding Your chassis is heat treated and you can not reheat treat the weld and can cause stress fractures in and around the welds. I would contact your chassis manufacturer before making any changes.

Herman

I agree with Herman, and dd69, I would not weld to the frame of any motorhome. A bracket can be made for most anything that needs to be added, then bolted or ubolted if necessary. And if welding is required for anything, in addition to Rich's suggestion, be sure to disconnect all leads to the alternator, as they have computer controls built in as well.

Thank you to ALL of you. I appreciate the ideas & advice immensely. I did contact Monaco via email and they just now got back to me (so if they hadn't all of your ideas would have worked too) and they said to remove both ECM's, both battery grounds - which I have to do anyway to get the batteries out of the compartment during welding - and then turn off the two master switches at the rear of the coach to disconnect everything else not already disconnected. They also suggested that the welding contact (ground) cable be as close as possible to the area being welded and that should do it.

Again .... thanks for all the help guys. I truly appreciate it.

Rick