Sign in to follow this  
JMNevis

Hello Fellow Travelers, I Inherited A 1976 Champion Class A

I inherited a 1976 Champion motor home. My friend John has been helping me get it running and fix the electrical problems to get her back on the road.

I have never owned a motor home before and I am trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find an owners manual or a copy of one.

I stumbled onto FMCA by accident, I hope this is my lucky day.

If you can help, contact me JMNevis.

Just a little more work and a little more money and I will be out on the road too.

JM,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There is a wealth of knowledge here.

The more specific your questions, the better we can help.

Example-- if mechanical issues with the chassis/engine, transmission, what chassis does it have?

If a question on an appliance, what brand and model.

Even on much newer motorhomes, there is rarely a single manual. Instead, there are a number of them covering the individual components. And the good news (other than the knowledge base here) is that many component manufacturers have on-line manuals.

Yes this is your lucky day. Welcome to the forum. To get better answers please list the chassis manufacture and any other information you have. Look at some of the signatures for an example.

You need to check the age of your tires. 7-8 year old is about as old as you should run.

Look forward to your questions.

Bill

That's a pretty old rig, 38 years old. I will be surprised if any chassis manuals are available anywhere. Even the systems are so obsolete that manuals may no longer be available. I would definitely go through ALL systems completely. You do not want any surprises while on the road. Even in SB houses, appliances do not last 38 years on most cases. Be very careful in checking everything!

I'm guessing it's on a Doge chassis with a 440 engine, or an aspirated Ford. Please, let us know what you come up with?

Carl C.

Update. Google NADA for complete specs and by entering your VIN # you will get complete history profile. Last unit was 1986.

Good Luck!

Carl C.

Hello again: You are correct Carl C. my 76 champion is on a Dodge chassis with a 440 engine. Im going to take your advice and google NADA. I am also going to look for information on the individual appliances. I see most of you live in Texas, I was transfered to Red Rived Army Depot in 1993 when yhe BRAC commision was closing the military bases. Red River AD is outside of Texarkana. I transfered in 1996 to another base that closed in 2000.

JMNevis

Here are some resources for you:

Champion motorhomes Yahoo group:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ChampionMotorhomes/info

This is an old website, but it might contain some info you can use. Most links no longer work:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111012151859/http://www.championfleetowners.org/

Good luck in your quest for knowledge.

Chris G

F3508s