Sign in to follow this  
manholt

Diesel Fuel

Bucc-ees in Luling, Texas on I-10 is selling fuel at $ 3.159....lowest fill up for me in 7 years! Now, if you love Love's, they are across the Freeway at $ 3.829 and with your Sam's card? Or Prevost card?

Carl C.

This is an election year, watch all the gas and diesel prices shoot back up as soon as the election is over. It's a political racket you wouldn't believe.

Maybe we should get the laws changed so the politicians have to run for election every year. Maybe that would keep the prices going down.

And have to listen to all the I will do this and I have done this every year,No thanks I will pay higher price and get a treat every so many years. JMO

dave

Now that the winter season is here, be careful buying south Texas and particularly fuel of Mexican origin and returning north to sub-freezing weather. Texas fuel is notorious for not containing anti gel additives required for sub freezing northern operation.

No problem however, there exist in most truck stops anti-gel products that can be added to your fuel tank. I case some of you have not experienced it, southern fuel can turn to a consistency similar to butter in your tank and fuel lines when the anti-gel additives are not present.

If this happens, there are commercial products that can be added to the fuel tank and in a few hours will liquefy all the fuel again. Do not use alcohol, it contains water and will not help. Product I have used for many years in made by Texas Refinery Corporation, it is called De Gel Supreme. This stuff works!

Whether completely gelled or just a little cloud in the fuel, add to fuel tank and wait a while or in worst case total gelled situation, add to tank and open fuel filter and pour in casing, close up and wait about a hour, and i guarantee you are de-gelled and ready to resume your trip. Used it trucking all over the US and Canada for twenty years, this stuff works!

I don't diesel without it in the winter months. Not affiliated with this company in any way.

Today it is $2.39 at Fastrip and Quicktrip for reg and $3.40 at Sam's club for diesel. Its $4.59 at Sam's club for diesel in Pearl City, Hawaii where I am right now but of course I don't have my motorhome with me because they had some complications in construction of the freeway bridge!!

I filled up at Shell in Silver Springs, Fl. the other day (yes I could fit my 45 foot coach at Shell) for $3.199 per gallon. It's now a few cents lower.

For $3.199 a gallon I'd haul diesel in a Jerry Can from an Conch Shell if I had to! What a great country! Hey Ray, the election is over and prices are still going down. Hmmm...

The only caveat was the $85 limit per fill up (approx. 25 gallons). I used my credit card twice, then switched to a different card to finish (the pump would not accept the credit card for a third time. I needed about 60 gallons to top off the tank). At these prices I will gladly go through this process. This was $.40 per gallon cheaper than most other stations around here. If I had been near empty it would have been a pain (my coach has a 150 gallon tank), but I still would have gotten as much as I could from them.

A couple of days ago the price was down another few cents. With the recent OPEC decision prices will most likely go down even more. Perhaps this will put more cash in our pockets, which we can then deposit in retailers pockets for Christmas presents.

These prices might very well impact our decisions on taking a long trip this next summer. We were somewhat hesitant due to our heavy expenses last summer, but this might very well make it possible next summer.

Still a lot of folks playing with our fuel monies out there. Here in MI we are still $3.88 for diesel and the State tax is only .15. I watched gas here go from 2.79 to 2.99 (day before TXgiving travel) to 2.69 2 days later. Price gouging at its finest.

Fuel pricing goes all over the place. Most anytime that you stop and fill up while traveling, you will go down the road and find it at a lower price. Such is the life of Rving. Some folks might go ten miles out of their way to save $0.02 per gallon. If their tank would take 100 gallons they spent $6.00 to $7.00 to save $2.00, as the old Robot said "That does not compute Will Robins."

Herman

Herman,

I subscribe to the "school of shopping for fuel" of:

Go to http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Go to the area (city or zip code).

Click on map on one of the stations (you may have to "re-select" diesel)

Scroll along your route to find a station and price right on your route.

If question about the size of the station/ability to get in with your coach, highlight and copy the complete address and go to:

https://www.google.com/maps

That will give you a birds eye view of the station AND street view.

This whole process takes about 3 minutes to cover 500 miles of your route.

Note, I will not drive more than a few BLOCKS out of my way and will not fill at a tiny station. But, it is easy to save $20+ be spending 3 minutes "smart shopping".