bhalldorson

Traveling With Full Water Tank

When traveling with a full or nearly full water tank, is there a risk of breaking the mounting brackets due to the forces from water movement?

Recently a fellow traveler said that all tanks should be empty to avoid such failure and add water at the camp site.

While I am sure there are some "under-build" coaches out there, most are designed to carry a full load of water with no issues.

That doesn't mean that carrying an extra 600 pounds of "ballast" is a good idea. We usually hit the road with 1/2 tank, so an emergency would not cause a supply issue were we stuck for a day or two.

Obviously, if heading to a convention or dry camping, we fill up.

When on road trips we usually carry a full tank to start and use it as we travel. When we stop and stay in parks I'll refill the tank before we leave. Having water in the tank is one thing that makes the coach fully functional. When on the road, we like to have options. If we want to stop at some interesting place or are just are tired of driving we'll pull over and spend the night. Having water makes that a convenient option.

We just passed the 134,000 mileage mark with zero problems from the fresh water tank.

When leaving the RV park I usually don't dump the gray or black tanks until the rest stop right before home. That was the black is well broken up and the gray flushes the hose afterwards. Before I leave the house on the next trip I fill the fresh water tank to the gill. I don't have any problems with my tank monitors using them this way.

I'm with Brett. Also, about 10 gal. of water in black tank after dumping...nothing in gray. I don't want the extra weight of 110 gal. of water!

Carl C.

10' AMC Tradition 45'

Jeep W.

We travel with a full fresh water tank this time of the year. As we head home from Colorado to PA in November, many parks will be closed. Might have to rough it in a state park or Walmart lot. I always dump gray water before leaving a campground with hooks or a dump station.