tmoning

Motorhomes in the movies

Another year of the Oscars has come and gone and not a single motorhome earned a nomination. Isn't it time motorhomes received their props as celluloid heroes? Certainly they've paid their dues.

Motor coaches have played the roles of military fighting machine (a revamped GMC in Stripes). They've been destroyed by dinosaurs (The Lost World: Jurassic Park), and in virtually destroyed by Robin Williams (RV).

What's your favorite movie that has a motorhome in it? And don't say The Long, Long Trailer (1953) with Lucy and Desi. That was a trailer. I'm talking motorized RVs here. Here are my top three:

3. Meet the Fockers

Robert De Niro's character drives a Fleeetwood Pace Arrow to Florida to meet his son's fiance's parents, played by Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman, in this movie sequel.

2. About Schmidt

Jack Nicholson drives his 35-foot Winnebago Adventurer from Nebraska to Colorado to try to reconnect with his engaged daughter. At a campground en route, he meets an RVing couple who marvel at his new coach and invite him over to their older, less-equipped model.

1. Lost in America

Albert Brooks and his wife, played by Julie Haggerty, decide that corporate America is not the place for them. They liquidate their assets to start a "nest egg," buy a motorhome, and hit the road. A stop in Las Vegas to renew wedding vows ruins their dreams, as Haggerty gambles away their savings.

By far my favorite movie featuring a motorhome is RV with Robin Williams, and I say that because my husband always likes to re-enact the scene at the dump tank. Not that he means to, but it seems he always has an issue when dumping. I stand there and laugh and don't let him back inside our coach until he has washed his hands and anything else that got dirtied. LOL.

Janis

F384761

95 Coachman Santara

post-205-1238979186_thumb.jpg

I think About Schmidt comes closest to reality of any. Robin Williams, et. al. ended up being a feel good movie about RVing with great hilarity in the process. Never have been an Albert Brooks fan...

So About Schmidt gets my vote!

Oh, and we love Long Long Trailer! Pioneer of the living on the road movies!