PIPEWRENCHGRIP

Central Vacuum System

I love my new Monaco Diplomat, but I can't figure out why they put the vacuum unit under the bed at the rear of the coach. It's 40 feet to the other end and the outlet is in the bed pedistal. One has to stand on his head or kneel on the floor to plug in the hose. Laura has bad knees, so that's not an option. Also, if you pull the hose to the front of the coach it has a 90-degree bend at the outlet, so it starts to whistle. It would be a good Idea it the designers would live in the unit for a month before putting it on the market.

Well, I fooled them, I found a place in the kitchen behind the return air grill for the front furnace. This is also an access panel for other mechanical stuff.

I mounted the unit just inside and installed the hose outlet in the toe space, and for the electric I just pushed the cord through the grill to a nearby outlet. Only two screws to access the unit. Someday I may go ahead and install an electrical outlet inside the grill also, but for now it works great. I earned some brownie points with Laura .. Hee-hee. :rolleyes:

This also freed up some space under the bed where I store my extra kitchen chairs.

By the way, my floor plan has a front living area and a mid kitchen. I have a friend with an 2009 Diplomat, but it has a front kitchen and middle living room. His vacuum unit is mounted below and the outlet is in the living room, which makes more sense.

Bill

I love my new Monaco Diplomat, but I can't figure out why they put the vacuum unit under the bed at the rear of the coach. It's 40 feet to the other end and the outlet is in the bed pedestal. One has to stand on his head or kneel on the floor to plug in the hose. Laura has bad knees, so that's not an option. Also, if you pull the hose to the front of the coach it has a 90-degree bend at the outlet, so it starts to whistle. It would be a good Idea it the designers would live in the unit for a month before putting it on the market.

Well, I fooled them, I found a place in the kitchen behind the return air grill for the front furnace. This is also an access panel for other mechanical stuff.

I mounted the unit just inside and installed the hose outlet in the toe space, and for the electric I just pushed the cord through the grill to a nearby outlet. Only two screws to access the unit. Someday I may go ahead and install an electrical outlet inside the grill also, but for now it works great. I earned some brownie points with Laura .. Hee-hee. :rolleyes:

This also freed up some space under the bed where I store my extra kitchen chairs.

By the way, my floor plan has a front living area and a mid kitchen. I have a friend with an 2009 Diplomat, but it has a front kitchen and middle living room. His vacuum unit is mounted below and the outlet is in the living room, which makes more sense.

Bill

Bill,

Good idea. Ours came mounted from the factory under the refrigerator in the middle of the coach.

I totally agree, that anyone doing design work on ANYTHING should spend at least a month using it! And if you think few RV designers use their products, the problem is many times worse on boats. VERY few of those who design boats actually sail them-- not talking about naval architects, but the people who design interiors, deck layouts, etc.

But, some of the more forward thinking companies (RV and marine) do solicit owner input and even conduct owner "focus groups" when doing major redesigns.

Brett Wolfe

In our Safari, Monaco decided to locate the vacuum canister in the pull out tray storage area. They mounted it on the side of the compartment such that if there is anything in the left side of the slide out tray and is more than 18" high, it will hit the inlet hose of the vacuum. Very poor design. I relocated the unit to the ceiling of the compartment and that gives me over 24" of slide out tray height clearance. Not a whole lot more, but my lawn chairs will now fit and stay in place when I pull the tray out.

Fortunately, our interior hose connector is located under the pantry door about 1/3 the way down the coach. However, stretching the hose to vacuum the entry steps still requires some effort and can result in the hose coming loose from the attachment if you don't hold on tightly.

A little forethought by the designers would go a long way. :rolleyes:

Ron

On my last two coaches (gas) I was able to install a central vac system under the bathroom sink. It is centralized and 120vac is readily available. I use one of the two (normally) shelves and therefore have plenty of space for storage. I also add a lighted switch on the side of the cabinet to turn all power off to the vacuum hose switch-connector as an extra precaution. I used the Dirt Devil system and just ensure the bag changing end is facing out. :rolleyes:

Bill & Brett,

You are both right on the mark about designers. Before any man, woman or child can be a designer of cars, boats or RVs they should have to spend 1 year (a full 12 months) in an internship doing the mechanical work.

An example from our past, who ever told the designers of the 57 Chevrolet that the air conditioner box should cover the complete right side of the engine where to changing the spark plugs required removing the fender well.

I know you can think of a lot more.

Gosh venting feels good.

Have a good day. :D

I recently purchased a new to me Allegro Bus motorhome. It has a central vacuum ( tan in color, don't know the brand) and it doesn't work very well. Have cleaned the bag, so it not because of a dirty vac bag. My previous motorhome had a Dirt Devil which worked much better. Has anyone changed out the "Tan" central vac for a Dirt Devil? What issues would I run into with making the swap? Any input wold be helpful. My wife is not happy not and wants a Dirt Devil again.

R.Shomo

07 Allegro Bus 40 QSP

Bill & Brett,

You are both right on the mark about designers. Before any man, woman or child can be a designer of cars, boats or RVs they should have to spend 1 year (a full 12 months) in an internship doing the mechanical work.

An example from our past, who ever told the designers of the 57 Chevrolet that the air conditioner box should cover the complete right side of the engine where to changing the spark plugs required removing the fender well.

I know you can think of a lot more.

Gosh venting feels good.

Have a good day. biggrin.gif

Totally agree Herman:

Let's make that a national law. We have laws for everything else, but I degrees... They did ok mounting our Central Vac in the middle of the coach, but we have to be Hercules to get to the area under the bed. Seems they should have added a lift assist for us old men... or something....

As you say, if they used it for awhile they would know that.

Cheers all

Leo