lewkittle

Supplemental Brake System For Thor Ace 27.1/ 2005 Honda CR-V

Lewkittle,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There is no "one best" supplemental braking system out there. In fact some larger toad brake manufacturers offer several different systems because of this.

Some of the questions that will lead you to a good choice for your application. I'll start them out:

1. How long are you going to keep the Honda. If long-term, then it makes more sense to install a permanent system. If you change vehicles often, it may make more sense to buy a "brake in a box" that can be transferred from one vehicle to another (but, is a hassle to store and move in and out).

2. How much real mountain driving do you do. If not much, then proportional brakes would not be as important. Proportional braking usually adds to the cost of the brakes. And, if mountain driving, look carefully to see if the toad brakes would be applies for a long time if you are using your coach engine/transmission (as you should) to keep speed in check. I really don't like the systems that have the brakes in the toad on when the coach engine brakes is doing its job. Prefer it to be triggered by the coach brake pedal (my personal preference).

Basically, you want a braking system that meets YOUR needs, not a list of what fit OUR needs. The more you can tell us about your needs, the better we can advise.

We just bought this Thor ACE and CR-V. Our plan is to keep both for at least 7 years. We are snowbirds and travel to and from the SW every year. We usually travel down the I-5 corridor and come back through Utah and Idaho. The trip involves some mountainous travel. I was considering the Blue Ox patriot system which is an electric proportional braking system.

I've been extremely happy with my SMI DuoStay system. Take a look at them. Advantage is that they're ready to go without having to hook up and unhook each time. Once installed, they're there.

I have a 25 ft motorhome and tow my 2004 Honda CRV. I have the US Gear Unified braking system installed, and I've been very happy with it.

I have the Brake Buddy Vantage, which is portable. Works well, but the down side is it takes about 10 minutes to get it ready to tow and then you have the box to contend with. Once you set it up a few times its not difficult, but requires you get on your knees to hook up the brake pedal bracket. Mine is proportional or direct pressure.

We bought a Motorhome this year and a Honda CR

I chose RVi supplemental brake system.

Their on line videos sold me-- easy in and out of car, size is small.
I bought there battery maintainer also, it works great, now I don't have to mess with the fuse. Made for the CRV.

You have to buy a seven to six wire plug connector though, but it's worth the cost.

Left cold Colorado yesterday for warm Arizona.