Sign in to follow this  
kaypsmith

Houston TX-- Weather Conditions In January

Question

I will be driving my coach to Houston TX, in mid January for business purposes. I have not been in that area in January before, and I'm wondering what average temperature to expect, and what conditions that I should be prepared for. I was hoping for spring, but unless progress changes, it will be mid winter.

Thanks, Kay

12 answers to this question

It's a toss up. We never know from day to day if we wil be running air conditioners or heaters or neither. On the Gulf Coast of Texas we just wait 5 minutes for the weather to change. It can be in the 30's on some evenings and other evenings it can be in the low 60's.

Here is an Accuweather chart for January 2014: http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/houston-tx/77002/january-weather/351197

A quick Google search will get you all the info you need but, in a nutshell, expect cool and comfortable. January average high is 63 and low of 45. The record high is 85 and the record low is 10. You really should not have any issues at all.

Thanks for the replies, hope not the 10's. I did google, but I like real life data. I am also hoping for a milder winter than last one was.

Kay

So, you were hoping that some prognosticator would tell you what the weather this coming January will be? The real data is the Google data. Anything else is simply speculation.

I have always said to folks that ask about weather in Texas. Wear cotton and a big coat.

Weather in Houston can be cold and I would be prepared for both mild and cold. However January cold in South Texas is not the same as January cold in North Dakota. So come to Houston and enjoy our great Texas Hospitality.

Herman

We are suppose to start getting an El Ninjo weather pattern this winter....so, a little cooler and wetter than most, however I would still go with Brett for a guideline. Bring an umbrella. Southeast Texas is a crap shoot, anytime!

I'm 40 miles South of Houston. In the Summer time we are 5 degrees cooler than Houston, and the Winter time we are 5 degrees warmer than Houston, typically.

That "Big Pool", is a love it and hate it relationship! From July to November each year....think Ike! It's surprising that 48 miles, can make such a big difference in the weather....whenever I have to leave the Island and go to Texas, I Google the weather!

As Herman said, come and enjoy our hospitality!