Sign in to follow this  
JMGOLDEN

New Green Technology Sewage Elimination System

I have a good friend who is an owner of an environmental engineering company who has developed a new green technology sewage elimination system. He is ready to proceed to the data gathering phase to determine the readiness to bring his system to the market place. He is looking for an owner that is willing to have his system installed on their 40ft. plus, 2010 or newer diesel pusher. If you are interested, call 850-484-2700 to work out arrangements with Namon. I have seen this system work successfully in a test trailer.

If it's the system where they pump sewage into the engine exhaust system I would think there's much to consider before anyone hooks it up to their RV. I guess you would also be required to be a full timer as there's no chance it would be a logical solution to someone parked in one location for more than a few days.

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2011-05/2011-invention-awards-waste-water

I think I know why 2010 or newer diesel pusher. It will probably be using the expensive Participate Filter to filter the poo smell out. :o

JMGolden.

He's your friend...why don't you be the tester?

Sure would be nice if you gave a tad more information. Besides that, why does it not work on a gas unit? Me thinks, Ray has the answer!!

Bill Adams wrote: "If it's the system where they pump sewage into the engine exhaust system I would think there's much to consider before anyone hooks it up to their RV. I guess you would also be required to be a full timer as there's no chance it would be a logical solution to someone parked in one location for more than a few days."

That is a great question Bill...Actually, the system would work best for those who boon-dock or spend just several days in one location. The concept is for the motorhome owners to be able to allow their tanks to fill up while they are at their destination without having to hook up. Most D/P units can handle 3 to 5 days before their tanks get to the full level. Then when you get ready to leave, you start up your pusher and while you are pulling out, the system is already checking for the proper heat levels to start the process of eliminating the waste. Under normal conditions your tanks are purged well before you arrive at your next destination. Namon the engineer who is developing the system can answer many of these types of questions and I would encourage you to talk to him for your own satisfaction. I wish you happy travels as a full-timer. My wife and I were able to enjoy several years out on the road full-timing.

Manholt wrote: He's your friend...why don't you be the tester?

Sure would be nice if you gave a tad more information. Besides that, why does it not work on a gas unit? Me thinks, Ray has the answer!!

I would if I had a pusher that qualified. My last one was a 38ft. Zanzibar which I sold in December 2013. After over 25 years and 6 different motorhomes, I am wanting to downsize and am currently interested in a Type B Ocean One by Advanced RV which is a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 Series. The unit will work with a gasoline engine. It is not the participate filter that has anything to do with wanting to use a pusher. Heat is the primary driver for the success of the elimination of the black and gray water.

JM, I have to go along with the others. I am not sure I would like to follow a coach burning poop going down the highway. As mentioned before this must be a slow process where by the holding tank will be evacuated slowly and causing the residue to dry and cake on the sides of the tank. How long will your muffler last when it has poop and paper sent through it.

Sorry I am thinking Snake Oil.

Herman

Thinking, "Snake Oil" in Texas is a common thing! This concept is suppose to be GREEN and I can't understand how it can be that, when the process is spewing sewage into the air! Also, he mentioned boon-docking, that would mean starting the engine every week and letting it fast idle all day long....I wonder how long my Cummins would last?

Yep. Ray, I'm with you on this one!

Even PopSi article says the diesel engines idle at over 500 degrees. The pyrometers on my big 'ole 8 cylinder diesel shows the idle temp below 300. Running the engine at high idle does not change that. Driving bring the temps high enough, but how long do you think I would have to drive to empty my 200+ gallon black and grey (or is it black only and I still have to deal with grey)?

I really do wish the inventor the best of luck and I hope he can find a victim willing participant.

Let me again say that I have seen this system successfully developed to where the Coast Guard has approved it for use on boats and ships. To address Herman's statement about poop and the process being slow. I have copied from the engineering portfolio the following statements. To address Manholt on the subject of boon-docking, I indicated a 3 to 5 day period of time and not an excessive period he eluded to. Bill is correct in stating his engine will run approx 500 to 550 degrees which is sufficient to eliminate waste. Obviously driving down the highway will dramatically increase the temperature which will result in a faster processing time and again no residue or smell. I hope I have provided what I know about this system. I personally am excited that finally someone has addressed the issue of what to do with waste. There will be a time when we will not have many options left with the environment continuing to deteriorate as it has been doing over the last 10 years.

"The system is composed of several components. The first is the saddle that accepts waste from an existing tank or from a small equalization (EQ) tank (5 gallons or less) which receives sewage from toilets, lavatories, and the galley. The sewage is then coarsely macerated and supplied to the homogenizer where the sewage solids are dissolved into a liquid slurry. The processed sewage now acts as a fluid, and enters the injection pump where it is pressurized and sent to the injector nozzle that is located in the exhaust of the engine. The system has sensors that communicate with its microprocessor. Once the microprocessor determines there is adequate heat and waste in the EQ tank, the injector nozzle sprays a controlled mist of processed sewage into the hot exhaust gas moving through the exhaust pipe. The processed waste stream resembles diluted chocolate milk. When it is injected into the hot exhaust gas, the water fraction (98 %+) of the sewage, flash evaporates. The dissolved organics are thermally oxidized resulting in water vapor (steam) and a negligible quantity of mineral ash (minerals which were in the food consumed) that is non-toxic. Because it is a thermal process, it is a rapid start-and-stop system. The processing unit without the EQ tank is approximately 10” x 18”x 24” and weighs under 100 pounds. This small unit can eliminate approximately 300 GPD (gallons per day). The amount of waste water ultimately disposed is dependent on the available waste heat."

JM,

Here we agree to disagree. I would rather put my holding tank contents down the sewer. If it is a septic system like we have, it will go through the process and out the Aerators and water the grass, Green. Or into the sewer system where it can be processed returned to a water source and back through the treatment system and back to the public water systems,to me that is Green and recycled.

Also if what you described then this thing has got be cost prohibited. Installation must be a nightmare.

Herman

My dad always told me when we talked about who liked one car over another, (that was before the foreign cars) my age showing..."that's why they made Fords and Chevrolets". I don't disagree with what Herman says about the natural progression of poop in the world as we now know it. What the ultimate cost for this new technology will be will be determined by the acceptance and demand and volume that will be placed on it. I say the installation drawings and the process looked fairly easy.

JM.

Just for giggles, thank you! Being a retired, Oil Field trash, engineer. I have no problem with the system, but we are talking DP that we will call an Apple and the ships as an Orange. I have a Macerator Toilet and a 60 gallon poop tank with very limited room to add anything else ( also, I can't poop enough in 3-4 days to warrant the expense). A ship or even a boat that is big enough to have a head with a liquid holding tank, has all kinds off room for your unit. A ship, unless it's an inter Island, already have their own waste water recycling system for both gray and black, the gray is recycled back into system for showers and flushing...the black is ejected at port. That also goes for cruise ships!

I travel alone and my dog don't use the head! I dump (when in a campground) the gray every 3-4 days (100 gallon tank) and black about 10 days.

As Ray, Herman and Bill....I'll pass.

Bill is correct in stating his engine will run approx 500 to 550 degrees which is sufficient to eliminate waste.

What I said was my engine DOES NOT create 500 degrees at idle or even high idle. That means I must be driving for hours at a time to get rid of even a portion of the waste in my tanks. Based upon your information that it eliminates 200 gallons per day, I would have to drive for 24 hours to empty my tanks.

Without sounding defensive, I need to allow this discussion to come back around to my original post. The discussion of good or bad, snake oil, septic, ship or RV, etc. as enjoyable as it has been was not what I intended when I made the post. The fact is there is an engineer who has developed a black and gray waste elimination system that was awarded by Popular Science to be one of the top ten inventions in 2012. This green technology as it has been declared may be an answer to the problem of waste going into the ground in such large quantities that when the time comes it may just be the right solution to protect our environmental waste problem. I know it has been engineered for testing on an RV as well as other diesel applications such as ships, trains, planes, (jet engines), commercial buses, offshore oil platforms. Whether it makes it to the motorhome market will be determined by acceptance of those of us that own motorhomes and want to continue to have the freedom to travel throughout this beautiful country without any restrictions that can come about environmentally due to the fact many different types of waste are being dumped into the ground that will bring about stricter controls. If I had a D/P that could be used as a test unit, I would willingly do it. I am that convinced it will work and if enough can be manufactured, the cost would be affordable. I am not the inventor and am not invested in this product. I just wanted to let owners of motorhomes that there is such a product available for testing and if they are interested they can find out more about the product by calling Namon at 850-484-2700. Happy travels to all and I do hope to see you an a Family Reunion or a Rally in the near future.

JM

You may look me up, I'll be parked with ACC at FMCA Reunion next summer!

Wish your friend luck and you Happy Holidays!