squiredude

Extended Service/Warranty

Hi,

It is time to renew my Extended Service Contract or Warranty as it is sometimes known.

I previously had Good Sam's and in making a claim I had all sorts of issues and if it were not for a persistent mechanic it would have cost me thousands. (i.e. we were told to go to Walmart to get oil and filters!)

I have investigated a couple of other companies and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Nationwide Auto Warranties of Litchfield Park , AZ?

I have an 97 Discovery 36RS with 65K on the clock. The basic policy is 48 months or 48K miles for $3800 (including tire and wheels). I will not go into the details but is read well on all areas to me.

Good or bad?

Thanks

Phill

Hey, I just bought a used coach 2006 Damon Astoria a 5 year policy with XtraRide was about $6k. I like you am wondering if it will be of benefit when something goes wrong. My deciding point was that the engine and tranny both have electronic controls, the leveling system is hydraulic, and it kind of goes on and on. I am handy but not a diesel mechanic but could do a lot on the coach but for piece of mind i bought in to the contract. Sorry to hear that GS was hard to deal with. I am a GS member but have not used their insurance policies at this time. Their whole biz approach is sort of manipulative in my view and that is a turn off to me. I am not endorsing the XtraRide policy as I have never used it. They are explicit that they have to approve before the work is done. I don't like that much but it seems to be the norm for service contracts. The magazine Motor Home has a help column for people done wrong but there is never a complaint against any GS products well that is for the 3 years I have been reading it. There are plenty of complaints against other warranty and road service insurance policy issuers. Good luck with your decision.

I, like you am wondering if I need a service contract on my New 2013 HR Ambassador. I still have about 1/2 year on the manufacturer's warranties but am wondering if an aftermarket warranty would be worth the price. I have shopped around but have found nothing that appealed to me except a 3 year warranty on the household type fridge for $220 from the fridge manufacturer.

I'll follow your post for responses to your request.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Toney Murphy F409202

I have CornerStone RV extended warranty purchased through Lazy Days in Tucson, AZ. Used them twice with no problems. I would recommend them. Basic phone number is 866-912-2768.

I have to say I have been reading 3 RV forums for the better part of a year and a half in my 3 year run up research to buying an RV. I am picking up a gently used one tomorrow, There is a ton of bad threads concerning extended warranties in all these forums and they come out in various threads (i.e extend warranty, equipment problems, service providers). I just got done reading one above about a guy that got charged to have his problem diagnosed under warranty and didn't get the problem fixed. He complained to the company CEO got promised a refund but has been waiting over a month to see a check or anything. Some times I wonder if the some of the posts recommending warranties are bogus (going from warranty sales persons).

I am thinking it might be smarter to put the cost into a no touch account to be used only for emergencies repairs--you could even add to it each month. Then take care of your RV as the manufacture recommends and hope for the best. A lot depends on your level of risk, just like life insurance. If you are young with a family and kids, lots of responsibilities, you need a lot of insurance if you drop dead. If you are older, no real liabilities, you don't need life insurance. So I guess if you are living in your RV full time and would be homeless if something happened, you MIGHT need a warranty. Might because if you have another option(s) for living while it is repaired etc you may still not need a warranty. Sometimes when something goes wrong it is better to just replace it than to have it fixed. Warranties like to just fix the least expensive way, the least amount of parts knowing they may be doing another job on another part in few months or so--especially when you have deductibles.

tetonchief,

I understand your thoughts around to buy or not to buy an extended warranty

A warranty is like any other insurance they bet you won’t use it and you hope if you do they will pay

Putting money aside is a good idea for the smaller items, say less than $1,000

This would lead you to buy something for major repairs, you can set your copay at almost any level

But as I’m sure you understand MH parts are very expensive and many are OEM $$$$$

I just had my radiator replaced at Freightliner, not repaired and not an option with Good Sam $4,350

My part $200

In the past 9 years Good Sam has paid out over $24,000 to keep me on the road

The cost of Extended Warranty $10,800

Never an issue with payment

I’m a fan!!!

Good Sam is recommending that I add their "seal and gasket" coverage to my extended warranty coverage for my 2005 Kountry Star DP with about 72,000 on the odometer. This additional coverage adds about $249 to the annual package.

GS stated that if a seal or gasket causes a failure (like in transmission) I would not be covered without this addition.

Is this a coverage that most other people have?

Do I need it or is it just a money grab?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tom G

I don't believe in extended warranties. The warranty company is in business to make money. Since they are still in business, that means they are collecting more in premiums than they are paying out in claims. It's a gamble both ways. Like tetonchief above, I have a ''kitty'' for MH repairs...so far I'm ahead.

Hi,

It is time to renew my Extended Service Contract or Warranty as it is sometimes known.

I previously had Good Sam's and in making a claim I had all sorts of issues and if it were not for a persistent mechanic it would have cost me thousands. (i.e. we were told to go to Walmart to get oil and filters!)

I have investigated a couple of other companies and would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Nationwide Auto Warranties of Litchfield Park , AZ?

I have an 97 Discovery 36RS with 65K on the clock. The basic policy is 48 months or 48K miles for $3800 (including tire and wheels). I will not go into the details but is read well on all areas to me.

Good or bad?

Thanks

Phill

Welcome to the forum Phill. I am of the group that self insures. You are talking $3800. and another posted $6000 dollars. I have seen and read of many people having problems getting claims paid. I would recommend Coach Net for towing and other road problems but I would put the money in the bank and if you have a problem you will probably be able to cover it.

I will say if you do all your maintenance you should be fine.

If you do by a policy you need to keep exacting maintenance records and have them with you at all times.

Bill

Schools of thought are well divided on the subject of whether to buy or not to buy a warranty. We purchased our 1st coach in 2012, and knew nothing about motorhomes other than our desire to experience the travel in our own luxury condo. Needless to say we bought the warranty out of fear of the unknown. In the past two years we have learned through our experiences and now can figure out most things that once were catastrophic issues to virgin RVers. My experiences have altered my opinions of extended warranties--I would never buy one on my automobile, but where the coach is concerned--I won't leave home without an extended warranty.

Since 2012, we have submitted multiple claims with most amounting in excess of $1,500.00. The return on this investment has been exceptionally favorable. We purchased a Deluxe Coverage policy from Cornerstone and will definitely renew when the 48 months are up. I believe one has to read the warranty coverage wording and the fine print carefully before selecting a carrier--as the contract itself is what is ultimately critical to understanding your rights.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need some information , also, on an extended warranty contract. I have a 2013 HR Ambassador little used and well maintained. It was a Paul Evert show machine we bought at Goshen with 8400 miles on it. I immediately brought the chassis, motor, xmission and all lube charts up to date as well as aligned the front end and trued the chassis. I maintained all the service records. We are winterized now waiting for the Escapees Rally in Tucson this coming spring.

I don't want to leave home with-out a fully covered extended warranty. I you have any suggestion please reply. email is bumpus4@attglobal.net . or post on this post but I do not mean to hi-jack the original poster's post.

Thank you for your help,

Toney Murphy, F409212

Has anyone purchased a warranty from ACC Warranty Group. The owner says he sold his business but sounds more like he went bankrupt.

Would like to know how bad my decision to purchase his warranty.

Thanks

hjt777

Hello,

I am new to this forum and need some information , also, on an extended warranty contract. I have a 2013 HR Ambassador little used and well maintained. It was a Paul Evert show machine we bought at Goshen with 8400 miles on it. I immediately brought the chassis, motor, xmission and all lube charts up to date as well as aligned the front end and trued the chassis. I maintained all the service records. We are winterized now waiting for the Escapees Rally in Tucson this coming spring.

I don't want to leave home with-out a fully covered extended warranty. I you have any suggestion please reply. email is bumpus4@attglobal.net . or post on this post but I do not mean to hi-jack the original poster's post.

Thank you for your help,

Toney Murphy, F409212

If I had a new coach with 8400 miles on it and all the maintenance done I would get coach net to cover their problems or any other thing that might cause a breakdown(dead battery ect) and hit the road. You can put the money for a insurance warranty in the bank but doubt you will have any problems.

Bill

Has anyone purchased a warranty from ACC Warranty Group. The owner says he sold his business but sounds more like he went bankrupt.

Thanks

hjt777

Who does he say is handling the warranty now? Hope you don't need it otherwise it sounds like you will be out the repairs and the cost of the warranty.

Bill

tetonchief,

I understand your thoughts around to buy or not to buy an extended warranty

A warranty is like any other insurance they bet you won’t use it and you hope if you do they will pay

Putting money aside is a good idea for the smaller items, say less than $1,000

This would lead you to buy something for major repairs, you can set your copay at almost any level

But as I’m sure you understand MH parts are very expensive and many are OEM $$$$$

I just had my radiator replaced at Freightliner, not repaired and not an option with Good Sam $4,350

My part $200

In the past 9 years Good Sam has paid out over $24,000 to keep me on the road

The cost of Extended Warranty $10,800

Never an issue with payment

I’m a fan!!!

Well, I decided to go with Wholesale Warranties--84 month 70k miles. Their inspector was here this am for my inspection and all went well. So now I get my contract and cough over the $4100. I really hope I never have to use it but hopefully it is good piece of mind. The guy who did the inspection was actually a "Warranty Adjuster"--the guy who determines if they pay or not. Nice guy.

If I had a new coach with 8400 miles on it and all the maintenance done I would get coach net to cover their problems or any other thing that might cause a breakdown(dead battery ect) and hit the road. You can put the money for a insurance warranty in the bank but doubt you will have any problems.

Bill

Bill

Thanks Bill, sorry it took so long to get back to you but I lost track of my post. Thanks again for responding.

tetonchief.

They are all nice men and women, until you file a claim! After I got my current coach (used), I opted to get a one year extended warranty from GS. I had 2 claims, that was refused because I did not have any service records from original owner! Warranty $ 2,419, Repairs $ 3607....I did not renew!

Now I have a Coach account.

Back in the 90's, I had extended warranty's on a couple off blue water Cigarette boats and it cost a bunch, but it did pay for most of my breakdowns and what it did not cover went on my Insurance, witch also cost a bunch. My CPA told me that I broke even after 7 years!!!

I just can't justify the cost on a coach. Insurance, yes! I guess it all boils down to "what your comfort level is"!

Carl

Thanks Bill, sorry it took so long to get back to you but I lost track of my post. Thanks again for responding.

Well have you been on any trips with your coach? What have you decided?

Bill

Thanks

hjt777

I purchased a warranty from ACC in July 2013 and was to make a claim in Oct 2014 when I found out they no longer existed. I filed a claim with the state of Indiana and they are going after the owner. BEWARE OF ACC. I purchased a warranty through wholesale warranties.

I too have had questions about extended warranties. When I purchased my new Winnebago in 2006 like most newbies I Purchased an extended warranty and am sure glad I did. Even with a new coach my warranty paid out over double what the warranty cost was. So when time came to extend I spent more money for the assurance of satisfaction knowing that I'm covered if the need arises, which some day will happen

Just to update everyone, I purchased a "service contract" from Wholesale Warranties on Dec 31st--the last day before the price increase. Ended up getting another coach inspection which confirmed the one I paid for a month earlier. I bought a good coach.

Since I am living FT in my coach I decided I needed to protect my "home" as much as I could just to have piece of mind. I do hope I never have to use it but the $4000+ I paid helps me sleep nights knowing I have a good chance of assistance if something goes wrong. I do plan to keep very good records of everything I do and receipts too.

Fellow FMCA Members BEWARE

Just today I found out I to have been swindled by ACC RV Warranty, Indianapolis. Today I filed complaints with Indiana Insurance Commission and the Indiana Attorney General's Office Consumer Fraud Division. When researching for extended warranty coverage, I thought I did adequate discovery, but I guess my $3k is probably gone. I'm grateful that I didn't have a claim, but could tomorrow.

'04 Safari Cheeta

Larry #F429213