Sign in to follow this  
gaylemarlowe

S.S. Armor?

Have been getting the usual nicks and scratches near the bottom of my cargo doors from road junk. Have touched them up a few times in the past but recently noticed a few coaches with the stainless steel armor sheets along the bottom of the cargo doors. Looks pretty nice.

But, after getting an estimate, I was really shocked at the price. Are there multiple suppliers out there for this type product that could provide competitive pricing? Anybody ever try making their own from stainless sheet material?

If you are concerned enough about appearance to want to do the stainless steel replacement, I can't imagine trying to do-it-yourself and expecting an appearance that matches the professionally produced product. It is expensive because stainless steel isn't that easy to work with.

Gaylemarlowe,

Tom is correct. By the time you purchase the polished Stainless sheet material (it will only come in sheet form), have it cut to size, bent and installed with some sort of adhesive you will be way over the cost of buying them already made for your coach.

If you are only looking to protect the bottom of your doors and trim think about having a sprayed on such as Rhino Liner done. I have see where people have had the front of their coach sprayed and painted with the liner.

Herman

Tom & Herman,

You guys may be correct on the material cost. Just for kicks I may price out the material and see how much it is. Had not thought of the colored Rhino lining spray. Good idea, I will check out also.

Thanks for the comments!