ronandsue74

Norcold Refrigerator Removal

Today I removed my Norcold 1200LRIM refrigerator. I must say, so far, the project has been mush easier than I anticipated. The hardest part was breaking the original factory seal due to all the silicone that was used.

I think the cube I constructed so the refrigerator could be slid out on the same level as its original install made it a relatively easy task.

Tuesday I will receive my new Samsung RF18HFENBSR refrigerator and begin the installation shortly thereafter.

RJ
2005 Inspire #51264

The Samsung fridge that you chose is identical to mine. I installed it three years ago in my coach. It has served very well, separate temp controls and holds exactly the set temp. Also, I run it on a modified wave form inverter, and it doesn't mind at all. Of course, if you have a pure sine wave, will work equally well. The icemaker took two days before it started making ice, but was on the pump, once it started was fine, I tell you this because if I installed again, I would make sure it was on regular water source next time.

Sorry I don't have anything to update. My Samsung refrigerator is sitting in my galley. I have had other priorities this past week. The delivery went without any problems. The old Norcold and the new Samsung fit through the door without any problems. I did remove the passenger seat and the refrigerators doors for entry.

I plan to begin the Samsung install tomorrow.

I will post my progress.

RJ 2005 inspire #51264

Missed by ½ inch.

After removing my Norcold and carefully measuring the height of my opening v/s the height of my new Samsung RF18 refrigerator I came to the realization that my new refrigerator is ½ inch taller than the opening in my 2005 Inspire. Bummer!

So today I ripped the refrigerator floor out of my coach. As is so often the case, it was more involved than I anticipated. After removing the screws from under the floor I expected to be able to lift the floor up and out right? Wrong! The floor extends beyond the side walls about ½ inch. I had to saw the floor in half in order to remove it. The good news is, I will be able to lower the floor an inch and a half and still retain the drawers under the refrigerator. I plan to begin reconstructing the floor soon after Thanksgiving.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

Today I installed a new floor in the refrigerator recess for my Samsung RF 18. I had to lower the floor by 1 1/2 inch for my new Samsung to to clear the coach ceiling.

All went according to plan without any major issues. I still need to install the water proof liner and seal all joints/cracks and anchor the refrigerator to the floor.

I have taken several pictures but have not been able to post pics to this forum. Any advice would on how to post pics would be appreciated.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

I also removed the floor and lowered it but I removed the drawers under the Norcold to make room for the Samsung. So far, so good.

I think I should seal off the vents in the rear access door and in the ceiling since the fridge won't be sealed off like the Norcold was. If I don't seal it, we'll get hot or cold air from outside coming in the coach. If I do, will I have sufficient ventilation for the Samsung? Anybody go through this have an opinion? I was unable to open the Motorhome article on this subject which might have answered this question.

Jim Boguslaw

2007 Country Coach Tribute

Jim,

Yes, you must seal off the ceiling and back vents. The Samsung draws its air from under the frig. You just need to make sure the floor area remains unobstructed.

What are you doing with all the water and electrical stuff under the frig?

RJ
2005 inspire #51264

Thanks for replying to my concern regarding ventilation. It makes sense as my fridge at home just vents into the room from under the front. This one will be the same.

I removed some of the gas piping(because it would have interfered with the lower floor) and capped it off. I also capped the icemaker connection and ran another feed from an RO unit I installed previously under the sink. Need the clear ice cubes. The new floor is high enough(by 1/4"!) to allow the the drain piping and the flexible hoses to the slideout to remain unobstructed. I'm not sure I'll ever need access there again but if I do, I can slide out the fridge and remove the new lowered floor as it is attached with screws.

Jim Boguslaw
2007 Country Coach Tribute

Yesterday I changed Samsung refrigerator power from the main house panel to the main inverter panel.

The new Samsung RF18 model operated for 1.5 hour on the modified sine wave inverter without

any issues that I noticed.

This indicates, although more run time is needed, that the new model Samsung refrigerator will

operate fine on a modified sine wave inverter.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

I'm enjoying following along as you go. We hired this done on our coach, 3 days and we were on our way. I don't envy you having to do this all on your own. I think you will really enjoy the finished job and the really nice refrigerator.

Tom,

I'm a DIY kind of guy so I enjoy the challenge and woodworking is my area of specialty so trimming out the frig is an easy task for me.

A couple of examples of work I've done the sliding counter extension and the hardwood hickory floor.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264