Sign in to follow this  
butchvalko

San Juan Islands

Question

Thinking about going to San Juan Islands in late August. Any ideas about RV parks both on the islands, and the mainland.

Better to stay on the mainland, or camp on the islands?

Looking for some fun spots - please advise!!

4 answers to this question

We stayed in La Conner in June and drove the toad to Anacortes, about 22 miles.

We walked on the ferry and paid a one time fee of about $5 and visited several islands, spending the entire day. Looked around and it seemed like there weren't many roads that are RV friendly.

Looked steep and narrow, especially Orcas.

My daughter and son-in-law park there motorhome at Fidalgo Bay RV park, and they like that park. They have taken their toad on the ferry to the islands, but they also have a boat in Anacortes, and have stayed at a county park there with their RV.

Steep and winding roads, not very wide, but if you want to see the fantastic scenery and explore the islands, you can do so even in a large rig. You may have to go a little slower than you would elsewhere. If you take the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney, you can also see Vancouver Island and the Canadian Gulf Islands. Similar road conditions and scenery. We live in the Gulf Islands and occasionally see the 45' Prevost tour buses going past our house, on what I would class as one of the more challenging roads. I have to drive that road to get home. They come just for the views.

Don't know what type of rig you have but Odlin Park on Lopez Island is a wonderful campground-dry camping no electric..and Moran State Park on Orcas Island.

I did a write up on Lopez here:http://roadtrekgirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/odlin-park-san-juan-islands.html . She spends a great deal of time in the Islands and they have a 26ft Airstream. Have fun, it's a beautiful place to stay.