Sign in to follow this  
tetonchief

Installing Base Plate-- About How Much & How Hard

I just bought a motor home. It came with the Blue Ox tow bar and a Brake Buddy.

Now I need to get a base plate for my car (2009 Scion xB, 5 speed manual). I checked with an RV dealer and they quoted me just a few bucks shy of $2000 for the base plate, electrical kit, and toad battery charger wiring kit, and 10 hours of labor.

Does this sound about right? I am in SW Florida. Am I better ordering parts myself and does anyone know someone in SW FL they would recommend to do the work?

How hard is it to do myself (the kit says the from fascia of the car has to come off, and it has to be cut for the tow bar attachments.

I am not all that crafty other than turning a wrench and following easy directions--I don't think I have the skills to figure out exactly where to measure and cut the holes in the front end bumper fascia, and a mistake would be costly. Appreciate anyone's input on any of the above ...

Chief :unsure:

The price they quoted you might be a bit high, but is in the ballpark for professional installation. Unless you are solidly confident of your skills in fabrication, electrical, and mechanical work, this project is probably best left to experienced tradesmen. You certainly don't want your toad wandering off on it own.

Good luck with your new coach, and happy travels,

Tim

Go to the Blue Ox web site and click on baseplates then put in your area in FL. and it will give you places that do Blue Ox baseplates. I had mine installed in OH, and had a problem with mine on my way to FL one year and they referred me to Southeast Power Systems on Adamo Dr in Tampa They were able to fix the problem.

The baseplate should be between $400 and $500, $394 from Amazon. The Blue OX labor estimate is 3 hours. A wiring harness for lights should be between $75 -$150, and the Brake Buddy breakaway wiring is $50 to $ 100 Allow an hour to install lighting and an hour to install brakeaway, and you have 5 hours of labor. So $500 + $150 + $100 is $750 for Parts and $500 for labor at $100 per hour for a total of $1250.

I think that that is high, but not nearly the $2000 that you were quoted.

Don't know about the Toad Charger since my vehicles (Jeeps) don't need it.

I think the price is close, if the labor is included.

On your car you will need to remove the headlights, bumper and a bunch of little stuff to install the base plate. Something I would leave to someone else.

$2000 sounds reasonable, if they fry the computer hooking up the lights, they get to replace it.

Blue Ox has detailed instructions on their web site for your car. Why don't you go look at them and see if it is something you want to do.

I had planned on doing my baseplate but ended up having the dealer do it as part of the deal.

Bill

I agree with Kingfr, especially regarding the time.

I installed a base plate on a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu that entailed removing the facia, headlamps plus other "stuff" and drilling a couple holes as I recall. It took less than 3 hours. I installed the Blue Ox diode tail light system that took about and hour, installed a M&G Brake that was another hour.

Thanks everyone. I did download the instructions and there is no way I am going to attempt--I don't have the saw that is required for removing the metal in 2 places. I thought the 10 hrs of labor just for the base plate was crazy--disappointed a big dealer would over inflate the estimate 200%. Six additional hours at over $100 bucks an hour...I should at least get a gun stuck in my ribs and punched in the face for that kind of robbery. Now I know how they are paying for that fancy dealership. I emailed Blue Ox and asked them to recommend their best installer within 200 miles of me--they sent me the name of the place in my town so I will check with them. Being I have a Scion xB I would like to have someone doing it that has done one before--or at least several installations on other cars. Hat a CAT back exhaust installed on my car at a custom car shop and when it rubbed up against the trailer hitch I had they just bangs a dent in it with a hammer rather than bend the pipe to fit it. Custom doesn't always mean professional. Thanks again. :)

Not sure about your car but I did the install on my Jeep and it only took me 3-4 hours. You can get the detailed installation instructions on line at Blue Ox and determine for yourself if you think you can do the work. You cannot order direct, but the dealer was able to overnight the mount in to his location at no additional charge. Who knew when I bought a Jeep I would end up being in the Detroit area in November! Had a 4-6" snow today and got to play with 4WD for the first time. How cool is this!?! Don't know how I ever drove in the snow without it.

Installation depends entirely on the toad. On my first CRV, it took the dealer nearly all day. Today, I dropped my new CRV off at 8 AM...they were not finished by 5 PM. Base plate and associated hardware is major surgery on a CRV.