Sign in to follow this  
tetonchief

Class A Driver Training

My insurance company said you can get a discount for an RV driver training course so I did some calling around. They are not cheap, on average $500 and one to two days. However, I called Lazy Days RV Center in Seffner FL and I got into the class called RV Driver Confidence Course taught by Bob Bergeran.

It was a couple hours in the morning and then after lunch we went to the camp ground on the property and each student drove a 36 foot DP all around the campground using the tactics taught in the morning course. One of these was the DOT system they teach--involves measurement of your RV and placing small DOTs on the mirrors and windshield.

All I can say is it is an amazing tool. The class size is small (10 students--8 that bought their RV at Lazy Days and 2 from outside) and the best part was it is FREE! I highly recommend this to anyone, new driver, man, woman, even old hands. I saw students that never drove an RV before wheel one around a campground like they knew what they were doing even with lots of expensive RVs and trucks and cars all around, parked and moving. If you get the chance DO IT!

One other thing. I know this may not apply to many of you, but I found out, after insuring my coaches with GMAC for years, that if you have a Class A CDL, you can get a discount, I think it was 20% off on your insurance. I sure wish one of the people I had talked to would have brought this up ten years ago. Just a thought for the few of you out there who may have CDLs.

My wife and I are at Lazydays right now. I have spoken to Bob and was told that the class is for people that buy a unit from Lazydays. There is an opening only for 2 walk ins. Walk ins can sit in a 2 hr class, but to drive you need a reservation well in advance.

The DOT system involves using a water bottle placed at various places on the outside of the MH (just need one water bottle and one helper) When the water bottle is in the correct place on the ground outside the MH you place a DOT on your mirror or on the windshield. Yoou use the DOT as your reference when you are driving for turning and backing. That is the simple explanation--it makes a lot more sense watching the slides and then doing it in the parking lot before the driving portion of the class as during the driving.

Yes the class is for 10 persons--8 that buy from Lazy Days and 2 spots are for and person with an RV regardless of where the bought their MH. I sent an email and the instructor called me back and told me what days he had openings on and I made an appointment so it really wasn't a walk in. However, you have to realize that JAN -APR is prime snowbird season and the Lazy days campground will probably be filled so classes will be tight for anyone--new buyers as well.

If you know you are going to be in the area (I drove up from Marco Island 180 miles away) call and see if you can get in a class that meets with your schedule. I found it worth it and seeing the Lazy Days facility was amazing too.

Lazydays used to publish a magazine that also had a coordinated website with all of the driving tips that included the DOT system. I can't find it; maybe someone else on here can remember their website for this.

Lazydays used to publish a magazine that also had a coordinated website with all of the driving tips that included the DOT system. I can't find it; maybe someone else on here can remember their website for this.

The videos are available on Youtube. You can search for "RV Driving Skills video series". This one covers the dot system for maintaining a straight path down the road:

. I think there was another one in the series that used dots on the mirrors and/or backup camera monitor, too.

I just watched the video on 'reference points'. It looks like a great idea. I kow when I first strated to drive when I was 15, I knew just where on our Buick's hood the center line should be. But when I started driving RV's (34 foot class A) 15 years ago, it seemed that I just knew where I should be on the road. I guess that came from, at that time, having a little over 2 million miles driving semi's. However, for my wife, everything helps ;)