shields

Economy Mode and Fuel Savings

After re-reading some older posts about the "Economy Mode" on the Allison transmission control panel, I finally got around to trying it out last week. On a 580 mile round trip to Nevada, I used the economy mode and kept highway speed under 60 mph. The results were dramatic; a 25% improvement in mpg! I usually get about 7.8 mpg, and logged a surprising 9.8 mpg with slower speed and the economy mode.

Thanks again to the authors of the earlier posts on this subject (http://community.fmca.com/topic/1149-allison-economy-mode/). You save me some serious cash with that advice.

Happy travels,

Tim

The increase in mpg is probably mostly due to the slower speed. Economy setting on the control makes the trans shift to a higher gear sooner and stay there longer. I always drive in the economy mode and at about 56-60 mph. I get between 10-11 mpg driving coast to coast.

I usually cruise just under 70, and kept the cruise control at 60 this trip. I was surprised at the change in fuel consumption. Next trip I'll set the cruise at 55. Who knows maybe, it'll get 10 mpg.

Best wishes,

Tim

The econ mode will help most in rolling country, where the econ mode will keep the Allison in 6th gear rather than down shifting. I think speed is key, from a consumer web site:

"While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly speeds above 55 miles per hour. Just slowing down from 65 mph to 55 mph can increase your miles per gallon by as much as 15 percent."