Sign in to follow this  
jbucking

Flat Tow 2012 Jeep Compass 5 Speed Manual Transmission?

I am new this board so forgive me if this topic has been covered. I searched for it but could not find any specific information. We somewhat new to RV'ing (in terms of a diesel pusher) and we are looking at a 2012 Jeep Compass with a 5 speed manual transmission pull as a toad.

Info I find online seems to say that the Compass can be towed flat with a manual transmission, but the seller insists that it cannot because the transfer case is located behind the transmission near the rear axle and it will cause damage. The 2012 Dinghy Guide seems to say that the Compass with the manual transmission can be flat towed (the auto transmission cannot be towed due to lack of a transfer case). I also found a 2012 Jeep Compass owners manual online and it seems to say that the manual transmission is OK to tow.

Has anyone had first hand experience with the 5 speed manual Jeep Compass ? Is there a number at Jeep where one can verify such things?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Kohn

"I also found a 2012 Jeep Compass owners manual online and it seems to say that the manual transmission is OK to tow."

If the online manual states its OK, does it give you the procedure to go through?

I have not purchased it yet. I am researching the vehicle before I purchase it. The "online" manual says to put it in neutral, turn the on the key to accessory, and drive.... For reference the Jeep owners manuals can be found at http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/ . I would think that most standard transmission vehicles could be towed. My main concern is the seller who disagrees (for some reason). I was hoping to find someone with first experience.

I have a Jeep TJ and Jeep JKU that I tow but both are automatic. You might want to join one of the Jeep forums to get some direct experience or one of the more active RV forums such as iRV2.

I would think if the manual gives a towing procedure the Jeep is towable but I will caution you that Jeep manuals are notorious about publishing wrong information.

Good luck and I understand wanting to find an owner with direct experience towing a Jeep Compass.

BTW...is this a 4-wheel drive? Sorry I'm not familiar with the Compass.

There is a forum specific to Jeep Compass.

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/

Yes. It is 2012 Jeep Compass 4x4 with a 5 speed manual transmission. I just like the weight at 3200 lbs vs most other Jeep model at over 4000 lbs, It is really just going to be a tow vehicle. We have a diesel pusher coach with 360hp. Maybe I am making too big of a deal about the weight of the toad. I am just hoping to maximize fuel economy, etc. Everything I have seen says towing is no problem although I would appreciate some first hand insight... Thanks for your interest and help.

As far as fuel mileage, I've towed a Toyota Avalon with a dolly, a Chevrolet Malibu and now the Jeeps. I saw no noticeable difference in mileage towing with my 38', 325hp pusher. Have you driven the Jeep Compass? I can tell you from experience, the shorter the wheel base the less comfortable the ride.

I encourage you to join the Jeep Compass forum for some first hand information on the Compass.

I have driven the Compass. It is not my choice for a daily driver, but for a tow vehicle I think it would be fine. I would think the wheel base would be similar to the Patroit or the Wrangler, but I have not research that fact.

I'm only saying that my 2005 Wrangler Sport (2door, TJ) rides much rougher than the 2014 Wrangler Sport (4 Door, JKU). The TJ is lifted with off road tires. The JKU is my daily driver.