Sign in to follow this  
fewinfield96

Refueling At Service Stations

When it was time to fill up my gas tank, I would have to park my 36 foot motor home near the

curb and wait for a pump spot to become vacant. I could not pull in behind the vehicle using the

pump because I would block the station drive. My wife would then go over to the pump that I was

wanting to use and if someone pulled in behind the vehicle being fueled, she would let them know

that I was waiting for that pump with my motor home. The person would always, pull out and go to

another pump.

After she passed away, it seems that I always had someone cut in front of me and wait behind the

vehicle at the pump and would then proceed to fill his tank and I'd have to wait. One day, I had an

idea how to prevent people from cutting in front of me. I took one of the white Walmart bags and

while the person at the pump was filling his tank, I would ask him if I could tie the white bag to the

pump handle and explain why I wanted to do so. They would usually kind of laugh and tell me to go

ahead and tie the bag on the handle.

When he finished and left the pump, the bag would make anyone else think the pump was out of order and they would not pull in to that pump. I would then pull up to the pump and fill my tank

without having to wait for 3 or 4 other cars, especially during a busy time of day.

It has never failed to work and will save motor home drivers time, especially if you are alone.

I like it. Had the people been more considerate of your needs and patience in waiting for the pump the bag would not have been needed.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.

Interesting idea as I run into this problem often when refueling. The frustrating thing is they're buying $30 worth while I'm buying $200 worth.

You are a customer so pull up into line as it will not be long for the car ahead to move

but I do like your kindness to others

When it was time to fill up my gas tank, I would have to park my 36 foot motor home near the

curb and wait for a pump spot to become vacant. I could not pull in behind the vehicle using the

pump because I would block the station drive. My wife would then go over to the pump that I was

wanting to use and if someone pulled in behind the vehicle being fueled, she would let them know

that I was waiting for that pump with my motor home. The person would always, pull out and go to

another pump.

After she passed away, it seems that I always had someone cut in front of me and wait behind the

vehicle at the pump and would then proceed to fill his tank and I'd have to wait. One day, I had an

idea how to prevent people from cutting in front of me. I took one of the white Walmart bags and

while the person at the pump was filling his tank, I would ask him if I could tie the white bag to the

pump handle and explain why I wanted to do so. They would usually kind of laugh and tell me to go

ahead and tie the bag on the handle.

When he finished and left the pump, the bag would make anyone else think the pump was out of order and they would not pull in to that pump. I would then pull up to the pump and fill my tank

without having to wait for 3 or 4 other cars, especially during a busy time of day.

It has never failed to work and will save motor home drivers time, especially if you are alone.

First off, condolences on your wife's passing - it is never easy but our thoughts and prayers are with her and you. Secondly, perfectly amazing solution - brilliant! **** shame it's needed.

I fill up at Costco so I just wait in line with everyone else. I used to tow a 36' TT with a 1 ton truck. I had a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed of the truck. It took forever to fill both my main tank and the auxiliary fuel tank. All the while I'm taking the entire lane. With my first MH I had two tanks one 55 gallon and one 45 gallon. It also took forever to fill. Frequently I had to run my credit card 2 - 4 times to fill up when gas prices were very high. Its a quick way to burn through $500! I salute your willingness to not block the drive. I don't have the patience.