Sign in to follow this  
brown774

New XZE Michelin Tires

We just replaced all 6 wheels with the XZE 275/80R 22.5 on our 07 Diplomat. They are great, we drove 500 miles in varied weather from Sacramento the North Coast of CA for Thanksgiving. The tires are quiet, track well and no sign of water issues in the rain. The coach is very smooth although I seem to sense a little wandering but possibly the wind. I will check pressure this week. All in all I am super satisfied with the program and the XZE choice.

"I will check pressure this week"

From that comment are we to assume you 1. Didn't confirm the proper pressure when the tires were first installed?

and 2. You do not have a TPMS

You should do #1 ASAP

and if you don't have a TPMS, get one soon as it would be awful to turn a new tire into scrap due to an unidentified nail puncture or valve leak.

Checked pressure before trip after dealer installed and at the destination. I will check it next week after the trip, as always. Put the coach in the barn and came home to watch football. Thanks

We just replaced all 6 wheels with the XZE 275/80R 22.5 on our 07 Diplomat. They are great, we drove 500 miles in varied weather from Sacramento the North Coast of CA for Thanksgiving. The tires are quiet, track well and no sign of water issues in the rain. The coach is very smooth although I seem to sense a little wandering but possibly the wind. I will check pressure this week. All in all I am super satisfied with the program and the XZE choice.

I installed XZEs on my Fleetwood and Beaver, all optimum results. Seeing Goodyear wear patterns on mine and other rigs convinced me of the Michelins' superiority.

Does anyone have experience or comments regarding Michelin's XZA2 Energy tire Vs their X Coach XLV tire? I have a 2006 Monaco Dynasty with tag axle. Michelin says that the X Coach XLV can be used in all positions. Would appreciate any comments regarding ride,handling etc between the two tires. If you have either tire I would appreciate your input. Tire size is 29580R-22.5

Thanks, Monacoman06

I have only been full timing since 1997 and traveled a bit over 250,000 miles so please consider me a newbie! I have never found a need for a TPMS. If I had a blow out up front I will know it before the TPMS does. If I have a blow out in one of the rears, the thumping is a dead give away. I guess if you don't check your tires before you start driving this might be a good thing, but why would you take off without checking your tires?

Surely this is the contrarian view but I am not a fan of throwing money away. Yep, "stuff" happens but if I wanted to install a TPMS I would likely only install a 4 tire system on my toad.

Bill,

I agree- up to a point.

No question, in the event of a catastrophic blowout TPMS will not help.

But (actually big BUT) most tire failures are not catastrophic-- they are the result of slow/medium speed leaks caused by nails, screws, etc. As pressure gets lower (low enough to trigger a TPMS) temperature goes up, causing further tire degradation. Fast forward to total tire failure.

Like most insurance, it will not cover all conditions, but WILL cover the majority.

I would love to have a TPMS if I could find one you didn't need to remove the sender to adjust tire pressure. I doubt it would be much fun with an inner rear.

Anyone know of such a system?

Its the outer rear that has the inward facing stem. The inner rear is extended straight out. There is a tool that aids the r and r of the outer dual transmitter.

I would love to have a TPMS if I could find one you didn't need to remove the sender to adjust tire pressure. I doubt it would be much fun with an inner rear.

Anyone know of such a system?

TST offers senders that are flow-through - you remove the valve cap but the sender remains in place. Some say that the air flow through the senders is reduced somewhat, but I've never felt the need to test how much it's reduced. They seem to work well on my motorhome...

Thanks Alan!

I bought a TPMS 3 months ago @ Camping World but returned it after I got home and saw that the sensors were not pass through, and had set screws. They told me they didn't know of any pass through sensor systems when I returned it.

After some research, the flow through transmitters that are now available do have replaceable batteries however they are plastic and about twice as long. Very difficult to add air on the outer dual. Next to impossible to remove just the cap so the transmitter has to be removed to add air. They are not suitable for use on the toad because they stick out too far.