freestoneangler

Where Do You Call Home?

My wife and I are retiring in spring 2016 and, while we're pretty sure about our plans to build a home in southwest MT and winter south in a motorhome, I often find myself thinking about other options for where to have a home. We don't think full time RV living is in our genes, but have done plenty of camper travels during our 30 years of marriage to feel confident in seasonal travel... in fact that part sounds really fun.

We're partial to the western states as we love the Rocky Mountains and our families are all in CA (which is absolutely not an option...lived there, done that). We've lived in WA (south of Seattle) for the last 30 years and we no longer want to live in the wet. Eastern WA has popped in/out of our options list... decisions, decisions.

I often look at the forums members avatar info and what rigs they have and where they call home... though quite a few do not. I'd be interested in hearing about folks who, like us, contemplated places to retire, where you finally ended up and how you like it (or not).

Thanks

We retired in upstate, western NY and left for Florida in Oct., 2013. We bought a lot at Wilderness RV Resort in the Preserve Estate section in April this year. We arrived back at our lot in mid August this year. We call this home during the winter, and for now attempt to travel during the summer to get some relief from the Florida heat and humidity.

We ended up in Palisade CO which abuts Grand Junction. We moved to Grand Junction in 1972 when I graduated from the UTA (University of Texas Arlington). We left in 1984 for a job in NH. While we there and after we left relatives moved there. While full timing we went back for a month or so in the spring and for a couple of months in the fall.

We had been happy there and the work I did there was the high point of my electronic design career, so it seemed like a good place for us to settle down and live permanently.

It has a great medical complex and the weather is not what most people think of CO as having. We are in a high desert valley and get an average of 19 inches of snow a year. It can get cold in the winter - Jan is the coldest month:

Avg. Max Temperature 35.5 Avg. Min Temperature 14.5

But we have 242 days where the sun shines.

We live and work in Odessa Texas. try to Take the RV out every chance we get. Dream of retiring and going full time. Would like to have the time to go stay a week or two at a time in every place we end up. Looking forward to full time..