Sign in to follow this  
alltooledup

Safely Disposing Of Potable Anti-freeze

So we hope to be able to travel to a warmer climate than Indiana. Just got the coach and it got cold so had to winterize to protect the plumbing and FW systems. I used two different antifreezes one was polypropylene and the other was possibly a mixture of glycol and alcohol. They can just state that it might have both on the label! I hate to do this and blow everything out first but feel I have to do it here in our below zero climate.

So going to FL or AR or NM what do we do to sanitize our FW? Seems like if a bunch of people were dumping their contaminated drain tanks the ground water in a septic system would be in danger. So what do late travelers to the sunbelt do with their winterized systems? So due to the late purchase and early winterization our unit has not been sanitized but due to adding all those chemicals I thought what was the use. I know the FW is dirty as there are black spots on the inside of the tank. The coach was not used for a number of years

I am giving a heads up to Brett about filling through a particle filter but not charcoal that would remove chlorine. Point of use seems to be the way to go. Thanks ahead for any advice.This must be an old topic but I can't find anything in my searches.

The pink stuff is safe to drink. Yuck taste though!

If you have a water heater bypass, it takes about 2 gallons. If not, 2 gallons plus the size of you water tank.

I go far enough south to de-winterize, check in at a campground, hook utilities up, and proceed to flush out the system into the sewer. I cannot believe a few gallons of a potable liquid, flushed and diluted into a sewer system that holds thousands of gallons of human waste, etc., can cause any problem. I would think if it did, there would be warning signs all over prohibiting it, or the liquid itself would not be sold.

Where were you going to put it in the spring, if you hadn't gone south? Probably in the same places.

Polypropylene glycol or Polypropylene glycol and alcohol can be dumped in the sewer.

Excerpt " If PG does reach soil and water nearby, it is considered practically non-toxic to aquatic organisms and it biodegrades rapidly." from http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/prog.htm Scroll down to Environmental Releases.

Warnings about disposing of it are concerned with PG that been used in automotive systems and can contain heavy metals and other contaminates.

My motor home is on a graveled RV site in my side lot. I let the RV antifreeze run out via a hose feeding a gravel filled sump.

Thanks for the info and the link. Guess I was over reacting. I usually dewinterize and sanitize the FW tank at home and drain it onto my gravel drive way. Our neighborhood is on city water so there is no risk of contaminating someones well.