aboeck3

Tow Dolly vs Flat Towing

I am ready to start towing a car. What are the issues of dolly towing vs flat towing.

I have seen both, but flat towing seems to be the majority of cases.

To flat tow I would have to buy a new car (Ford Focus?)

What is your opinion?

Welcome to the forum. I have done both, now I tow 4 down and like that better. You might do a little research on your car it may not be towable with a dolly.

Bill

We have been towing with mastertow tow dolly for 12 years now and 5 different cars 2 PT Cruisers 2 Jeeps and a Ford Taurus never had a problem. Seems as easy to load and unload as 4 down. On 2nd set of tires and tie downs lube dolly bearing every 3000 miles.

IMHO, there are two primary problems with a dolly:

- It takes considerably longer to get ready to move. When towing four down, you hook up the car and attach the safety and electrical cables...done.

- We have stayed in many CGs where there is no space to store a tow dolly. Plus, I don't have any place to store it at home.

Tell us more about the car you want to tow. I towed a 2012 Honda Civic on a dolly because it couldn't be flat towed. I now have a 2014 Honda CR-V that I tow four down. This is much easier. You might be like me I used the dolly until I decided to get a different car. You need to check the owners manual to be sure you can tow your car on a dolly some especially all wheel drive can't be towed with a dolly.

Bill

I have towed using trailer, dolly, and 4 wheels down for over 400,000 miles and 38 years. What method you use is usually dictated by the vehicle you want to tow. If you want to buy a new vehicle, don't pick it because the brochure or owners manual says its 4 wheel flat towable. Some times they change their mind after you have bought it. I am currently towing a Silverado 1500 5 speed 4 wheels down or a Prius on a dolly. Works for me.

We have installed Remco disconnects in our shop and I found that not everybody was happy with the way it functions. Some slack in the driveline and sometimes hard to disengage or engage. Problems with the cable and linkage. The expense of a modified or replacement driveline and all the other costs make it rather expensive as our customers have related to us. It got to the point that we would only install one if the customer really wanted one.

Trans pumps, like anything, when there working they are ok but they also have issues.

I have towed a 2011 Honda Accord V-6 on a tow dolly many miles. It works fine. The big problem

for me with this set up is hooking up the safety chains between the Honda and the tow dolly.

Getting on my back under the Honda to hook up the safety chains is tough. I have also towed

a Ford Ranger 4 down, it's much easyer and simple.

I do 4 down sometimes and other times its a enclosed trailer with the car inside. I have made it easy enough for both ways. For me, it depends on where I'm going and what ill be doing.