Sign in to follow this  
brown774

Air E Brake Release

We took a trip in our 2007 Monaco Diplomat to the North Coast of Ca over Thanksgiving. It was a very wet and muddy trip, rain from Fort Bragg to our home near Sacramento. Lots of spray from traffic on I5 etc. Parked the coach at our inside storage and let it sit for a little over a week.

Yesterday while staff was bringing the coach out for a bath, the E brake would not release. Over the phone I told them to dump the tanks, check for water in the air tanks, verify the leveling system had not accidentally been activated and cycle the Trans a few times.

They called back and said everything was in proper condition and said they had gotten the E brake to release by nudging the throttle. They said they could hear the E brakes release and the nudge moved the coach.

What should I do after a wet ride and is it possible that some corrosion to the brakes happened?

Confused about this.

I beleive it is in the linkage, the water has somehow prevented the retraction of the cam. I have had the same thing happen to me and I had to put it into gear and rock it until it released. I was always going to dry lube the exposed parts and lube the shaft with the correct grease but I never got around to it.

It is highly likely that water in the brakes allowed the brake shoes to rust to the drum. About all you can do after driving in the rain is to apply the brakes fairly hard a couple of times before putting it in storage to help dry them out.

Yes, it does happen.

I had it happen while sitting in a campground and it was not raining before I got there but had rained while sitting for a couple of months.

As Brett suggests, the same thing has happened to me a time or two. Culprit seems to be rust triggered from driving in salt conditions in winter. Can't say it has happened during warmer weather.

As Brett suggests, the same thing has happened to me a time or two. Culprit seems to be rust triggered from driving in salt conditions in winter. Can't say it has happened during warmer weather.

Mine has happened in the spring and summer, no salt on the roads where I go.