Sign in to follow this  
jlandon13399

Motorhome Door Latch - Outside Handle

Well I have a new one on me......I was very lucky my DW was in the motorhome when I lubed the door latch and striker bolts because I could not get the outside door handle to unlatch from the striking bolts. Everything works well with the inside handle, but the door will not open with the outside handle. Monaco coach has had this problem before, in fact they have the latch assembly in stock. Fleetwood uses a diecast zinc handle, Monaco uses a plastic handle. Mine is ripping from the bottom due to the press I used to try to enter the coach. I removed the striking bolts and am using the dead bolt to secure the coach door until I get it back to Lazy Days in Tucson for repair. Has anyone else out there had this problem and what was the cause and the fix?

They must of changed the design on your Ambassador. My front entrance door has double strikers and door latch that moves release rods for each of them. I guess I can't help you comparing my coach to yours. I know I have to keep the latches lubed as it will require more pull on the handle to get the latches to release.

Rich & Ray,

My door does have double strikers like Ray's. I called Monaco but do not know the manufacturer of the lock. The part number Monaco gave me for the replacement is 08412865. The thread Rich sent shows a different lock than the one I have. It just irritates the heck out of me that coach manufacturers don't design quality components. I go above and beyond regular maintenance and still have these nagging problems.

Thanks guys for your input.

Don, Your might try this outlet. List Monaco parts as one of there lines.

• Veurinks RV
  • 7144 Division AVE S
  • Grand Rapids, MI 49548
  • Phone: 800.822.5292

http://www.veurinksrv.com/default.asp?page=xAllInventory&s=Price&sq=08412865

The link did not respond to the part number. So it could be out of stock or they have a different number for the part.

Rich.

I had identical problem on my 2003 Navigator. Upper and lower latches. I think my sticking was caused by overlubricating. I sprayed a rust remover on the upper and lower door latches One at a time I manually latched the mechanism by pressing it closed with my fingers. Then I released it with the outside door handle. It took about 20-30 times for each latch. Then I sprayed a brake cleaner on each (upper and lower) to dry them out. I now lubricate with graphite. The grease I used to use apparently attracted dirt, thus making the latch stick. So far I have not had a problem.

Rich & Ray,

My door does have double strikers like Ray's. I called Monaco but do not know the manufacturer of the lock. The part number Monaco gave me for the replacement is 08412865. The thread Rich sent shows a different lock than the one I have. It just irritates the heck out of me that coach manufacturers don't design quality components. I go above and beyond regular maintenance and still have these nagging problems.

Thanks guys for your input.

Coach manufacturers don't design and make a lot of the parts they install because of costs. Auto manufacturers don't make a lot of the parts they install for the same reason. Chassis, engines, transmissions, AC, furnaces, refrigerator, TV's, sound systems, toilets, lights, door handles and locks, etc.

If they had to do all the design and manufacturing the coach would cost at least ten times more.

Ray,

Your example is exactly what I have. I will send the link to Lazy Days to avoid Monaco's mark-up.

Desertdeals69,

I realize RV manufacturers cannot design all components in their vehicles. However that does not excuse them from using the least expensive components in a lot of cases. I am sensitive to the profit issues of manufacturers and believe if they improved their quality they could avoid a lot of warranty expense. I am hoping one day the RV industry will embrace ISO certifications and get their quality act together.