Parkerboy

SC To New England Next Summer

Question

:rolleyes: We are planning to go up Rt. 81 from SC, maybe go into Canada, then head south down the coast. Cut back over to RT. 81 to avoid the NJ, and NY city.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or what to see while making this trip.

We are going to take about 8 weeks on this trip.

Any suggestions are appreciated, hope everyone on this board has a wonderful holiday season.

Hard to make suggestions with out more info. What are you driving and do you have a toad? I was in New England last year. One thing you will find there are few good roads or interstates east- west in northern New England. Not much above 90 (The Mass Pike). This is a interesting road you can go from the Atlantic to the Pacific on I 90 and it takes you by some great places.

Have you been to Niagara Falls? If you continue up 81 it isn't that far west of Syracuse NY. You can cross at the falls and go east to Montreal and back down. by way of 55 to 93 that puts you in a good position to go to Portland, Boston ect.

Bill

I-81 thru Virginia and Penn has very steep grades. Good road otherwise. You take 81 to 88 (just into NY) to 87 in the Albany area then either continue on 87 north or take 90 east to the coast then up 95 to Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Book your campsites early once school is out they tend to book up

Have a safe trip!

Hello!

We will be following your topic... :-) As we are also planning to go up to Maine and Nova Scotia around the end of July 2015. Specially recommendations you you receive on campgrounds!

At last year's FMCA - GA rally we met a couple from N.S. that is now visiting South FL and they have suggested the route 81 to 88 and then to 95 if we go straight to Maine. We start making our reservations in late January, mainly at National/State/CoE campgrounds and from there we look into Passport America/Good Sams and last the more expensive ones of KOA.

Good luck in your planning!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen/Concord with tow

Hi again,

You might want to look at a posting I recently did on Acadia. I got a very good info on Mt. Desert Island. Also, I've read a lot on the White Mountains, north of N. H. and they seem very interesting.

Safe travels,

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power.

Lifetime New Englander (Mass) new to FMCA and RV'ing this year. So these recommendations aren't necessarily from a RV'ing perspective. In Maine: Acadia, Rangeley, Sebago Lake (Point Sebago CG), Rockport, Bar Harbor are some of my favorite areas and you could easily spend a week in each and still not see all there is to see. New Hampshire: Franconia to Lincolin, N. Conway (lots of tourists & shopping), Lake winnipesaukee. Massachusetts: Lots to see in Western Mass and along the Mohawk Trail, Lots of neat places on the North Shore but traffic and roads must be checked carefully (low bridges and narrow twisting conditions) South Shore - Plymouth, Cape Cod, and the South Coast are worth the detour from route 95 (avoid traveling to the cape on any summer Friday afternoon/early evening at all costs). Don't forget RI with Newport and all the mansions and stunning coastline and beaches.

That will easily fill your 8 weeks.

Good Luck

FYI - I'll be going the opposite direction in May to Charleston SC.

Thank you dwrollins! Liked your advice on going to the cape during summer wkds! It will be our first visit to Boston, so probably will look into the historic part of the city, look for c/g close to it then drive in the tow car to the cape.

Safe travels!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

Parkerboy

If you do plan on entering Canada be sure you have your Passports in order, No weapons on board and have all vaccination information up to date on you pets and have that information with you.

Have a great trip.

Herman

Hello!

We will be following your topic... :-) As we are also planning to go up to Maine and Nova Scotia around the end of July 2015. Specially recommendations you you receive on campgrounds!

At last year's FMCA - GA rally we met a couple from N.S. that is now visiting South FL and they have suggested the route 81 to 88 and then to 95 if we go straight to Maine. We start making our reservations in late January, mainly at National/State/CoE campgrounds and from there we look into Passport America/Good Sams and last the more expensive ones of KOA.

Good luck in your planning!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen/Concord with tow

We are going to Maine, Bar Harbor in July 15 from Ocala Fl. & then to Niagara Falls, Looking for the best routes!

Thanks Tom!

We are leaving next week from Georgia to go to Nova Scotia. Having trouble crossing Hudson River to get to Boston. Any suggestions? Will be driving 36 foot Pace Arrow towing an Equinox. Thanks for any help and input.

Wiley

We are leaving next week from Georgia to go to Nova Scotia. Having trouble crossing Hudson River to get to Boston. Any suggestions? Will be driving 36 foot Pace Arrow towing an Equinox. Thanks for any help and input.

Wiley

Welcome to the forum Wiley, Why are you having trouble? I recommend the Tappan Zee Bridge on 287. I just drove from DC to RI and used the George Washington on 95. The Tappan is cheaper.

Bill

We are going to Maine, Bar Harbor in July 15 from Ocala Fl. & then to Niagara Falls, Looking for the best routes!

Thanks Tom!

Unfortunately we had to delay our trip to next year.... but would love to hear about your experience and suggestions!

Jocelynn and Quico (Oscar Power)

Gainesville, FL

We're traveling in 8/15 from NJ to Maine. Anybody have any ideas as to the best route? George Washington or Tappanzee? Which is cheaper/ better to navigate?

From there which route is better? I know 95 in Conn. can be a bear-- drove that in a car a few times.

We are traveling in a 36 ft Holiday Rambler with no toad, my nephew is following us.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

thx

tony and val

I do not use either bridge. Take 287 to 87 to 84, bypass Tappan Zee, may be a little longer but tolls are so much better, less than $10 on 87 and $10 to cross Beacon,Newburg Bridge on 84.

Still have to go through CT which can be busy at times but not like 95. 84 to Sturbridge, MA then 90 east to 495N to 95N. One small toll on 90 then none till Portsmouth, NH on 95. Maine turnpike is toll but nice road for the northeast.

If you are going north of Portland take 295, less tolls.

We have been doing this for six years now in a 38 foot MH towing with a dolly.

Have a fun trip.

I agree with netop43, I just traveled through that area last month, the Tappen Zee is under construction and the traffic on the east side of it can be horrible the lanes shift abruptly and are narrow, besides the construction and traffic the people make it even worse, they have no respect for themselves or anyone around them.

I have never traveled over the GW and I avoid that area at all costs.

I took the route mentioned above on the way up, it was a nice country type of drive, in CT the roads were busy during the day but not stressful at all.

My return trip I took the Tappen Zee.

I would not do it again in a car let alone our coach.

I didn’t find driving 95 that big of a problem. The only caveat is to use the Tappan Z Bridge. I drove from Washington DC to Wordens pond in RI. I went across the Gorge Washington and got lucky with the traffic. Total travel time was 8 hours including lunch and brakes. I used I-93 when I went to the New Fond Lake area then went West on 104 to 4 and then on I-89.

Last month I went up the coast from RI to Portland to Arcadia National park and Bar Harbor then up 1 to Eastport Campobello Island.

Bill

I think it was about 1:30-2:00. I was lucky as there was traffic going south backed up for 15 miles. That is why I recommend the Tappan and it is cheaper, GW was $76.00 before I got my EZ Pass.

Bill

Wow, you did get lucky. I have ran the Tappen Zee many times, only until recently has it been a problem, seems like the driver mentality up there combined with the road construction around that bridge area makes it much worse.

Now that I am no longer a trucker following customer dictates, you could not get me into that cesspool. If I lost my mind and decided to give New England one more chance, it would be 81 north and then veer off to wherever I decided to head to. The only pleasant experience we have had was NY State Park camping areas near Alexandria Bay, NY. Mostly it was old poorly maintained campgrounds damaging things on top because of poorly trimmed limbs. That was before the Internet however. Kinda flying blind because the campground directories put a smiley face on all.

I had no problems in any trips in New England area. I always check RV Park reviews: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

I have found many interesting places to stay. Wilde Duck campground in Scarborough MA. was on a road settled in 1630. I was also in the most Eastern campground in the US in Eastport MA.

If you don't do your due diligence you have no one to blame their are two many tools out there now.

Bill

Let me clarify my remarks. The cesspool I referred to is the New York/New Jersey/ Connecticut metro area. The GW Bridge is outrageously expensive, rough as a cob, and the Cross Bronx Expressway is just terrible. The debris along that stretch that falls off of vehicles and winds up on the shoulder is really scenic. Crossed the expressway and bridge many times over the years, but I would rather have a root canal than travel there again. The Tappanzie was an alternative,but Joe indicates that it is a mess now.

New England is pretty. It is the getting there that I don't like. When we leave in August we plan on being gone for three months. I don't know what we would do there for that length of time in the northeast ,but there are camp grounds out west that stay open into November. Some all winter long (though not for us).

I-81 north to Scranton PA and then East on I-84 gets you into Connecticut with much less trouble. From Hartford you can head north to the Mass Pike or south to New Haven and I-95. I say this because I am getting a feeling that many people use GPS systems rather than a map. Looking at a map gives you the big picture. My dad taught me to read maps while I was in grade school, and over the years I have grown so accustomed to them I have never needed a GPS. Too old to change now.