berginaperzina

Seat belts for passengers in the RV

Just a curiosity on my part: Do you always make everyone in the RV wear a seat belt on a long trip? I am of the idea that you should, but several of my friends strongly think that the purpose of traveling in an RV is to be comfortable. They say you should be able to lie on the couch and so forth ...

What do you think?

Seatbelts for everyone!

We have 3 seatbelts on our couch and of course the pilot/co-pilot seats. I have made one exceptions for my mother-in-law when traveling with us. We were on a long trip from Lake Havasu, AZ to Denver, CO. During that trip, my mother-in-law rode in the co-pilot seat for about 200 miles and then insisted in sitting in the recliner in the rear. At 81 years old, when she wanted something she got it. I wasn't going to argue so let her be as comfortable as she wanted. If we had made a hard stop or had an accident, she would have been severely injured.

On another trip with my 85 year old mother, she also rode in the co-pilot seat from St. Louis to Kansas City but on the return trip insisted on sitting in the rear. She did sit on the couch with a seatbelt.

We have had our grandchildren on trips and they have been raised with seatbelts and don't argue when told they must wear them. We put them on the couch with toys and games to keep them busy.

Hi Jose and Karen,

Everybody who rides in our coach must be seat belted at all times. There is only one exception, potty breaks. It is a risk, but one I am willing to take. For several months a year we have up to 8 people traveling in our coach. For the Gkids, this is no problem as they have been seatbelted since they were born. Also, the Gkids bring with them their wireless devices that communicate with each other. The electronic devices allow multi player game play. Our coach has seatbelts for 8 people (including the cockpit). On long travel days, lunch is a an Interstate highway rest area. The Gkids are allowed to get out and run around while lunch is being prepared. We do not prepare or eat food while the coach is moving. If needed, I can still cover 500+ miles in one day's travel. These days are rare. We normally cover 300 +/- miles on a travel day. Then we are camped several days for touring the area.

Same rules in our coach.

If you are seated, you are belted in.

And you are seated unless the driver determines conditions are safe for someone to "move about" to potty or quick errand.

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

Belted in. Same exceptions as previously noted.

Fortunately the co-pilot seat is a recliner, but one has to remember that any automobile seat when in the reclined position (seat back down) is dangerous with seat belts on. Earlene uses the foot rest of the recliner, but does not recline all the way back so that she is still protected by the lap and shoulder harness. 4 more belts on dinette. two, possibly 3 on couch. Everyone belted in when moving - with exceptions stated.

My coach only has 4 seatbelts, two up front and two on sofa. Need more seat belts when traveling to ballgames, etc. Tried to have some installed on dinette and one more on sofa. No one will do because of liability. More dangerous to ride without seatbelts...anyone know how to fet these setbelts installed.

I had a conversation with a Minnesota Highway Patrol and he gave me a different answer. He said that Motor Coachs fall into the same category as a school bus or other type of bus. Not many have seat belts past the drivers and co-pilot seats. He said, if there are some installed, wear them, but if not, don't worry. Persons in our coach are not required to wear them past the front seats. True, most of the time it's just my wife and I, and we're belted. I think different states may have different laws.

Personally, I feel naked without a seatbelt. We have belts only for the pilot and co pilot seats. We have extensively remodeled the inside of our coach and don't have a sofa any longer (which had belts). We virtually never travel with anyone outside ourselves in the coach. When my wife rides in the copilot's seat, she buckles up, however she often will lie in bed in the back when we're traveling due to health. When the children lived at home, we required them to use belts all the time. I haven't been successful in getting our cat to buckle up, tho.

Steve & Carolyn

I think one has to use a little common sence when you approach this topic. Yes, in an ideal world, one doesn't move the coach unless everyone is belted in. HOWEVER, there are times when unbelting is not a problem. I try not to have my wife go for munchies and beverages while moving, but sometimes it is "necessary". You don't have the errand runner move while the coach is on curves or questionable traffic, but as long as you are going in a level, straight manner, with no acceleration or deceleration forseen, there isn't any problem in releasing the latch and using a little freedom. When traveling with 8 in the coach, I permitted one of the three occupants of the couch to go lay on the bed. Safe? Well if I wanted to be perfectly safe, I wouldn't have gotten onto the interstate in the first place!