Sign in to follow this  
emmaisacat

Motorhome Repair Training For Non-mechanical Folks

Service at just about every RV Service location almost always disappoints. I am interested in a Motorhome Repair course that is suitable for a non-mechanical, non-technical person. Is there such a course that covers general repairs that may not need yet another visit to a RV Service location.

I could handle some of these "everyday repairs" if I had just a bit more technical information. RV component user manuals can have helpful information, but a hands on course would be very helpful to me.

I have a new Tiffin Phaeton. The major components work well but there are pesky can arise like the slam lock doors not functions smoothly or the Satellite TV functioning smoothly.

Don't know what are of the country you are in, but there are many maintenance seminars geared for the non/semi-technical at FMCA Conventions.

Might want to keep an eye as seminar details become available for the Pomona CA Convention in March 2015:

http://www.fmca.com/conventions-64/pomona-2015/3790-family-registration-fmca-redmond-2014.html

As in the past, there will be seminars on the "care and feeding" of your electrical system, appliances, chassis, engines (if diesel), etc.

A very good learning opportunity.

Jerry,

Are those courses geared for RV techs, or "Training for Non-mechanical Folks"??

Also, if you have a diesel coach, the Diesel RV Club (an FMCA Chapter) does 3 half day maintenance seminars geared for "non-mechanical folks" at their Rallies (I know-- I conduct them):

Next one in March (two weeks prior to FMCA Convention in Pomona) in Desert Hot Springs, CA: http://www.dieselrvclub.org/event-1735866

Yeah, they're probably geared more towards training for certification. RVGeeks.org has some basics videos, but there's not a lot of technical info there.

Also, I bought a motor home systems basics manuals, but it's so generic it didn't help me much. However, it may help someone with no basic knowledge.

"Trailer Life's RV Repair & Maintenance Manual" by Bob Livingston ISBN 0-934798-70-2/

Wow Brett I just looked at your link and we will leaving for Caliente Springs Resort at the end of this week. We will be staying there until March and leaving just before the rally you posted. Supposed to be a nice place I let you know what I think. small world

http://www.calientesprings.com/

Currently the FMCA Store is down for upgrade, but there are 3 books that they sell that are quite good general maintenance manuals. I am not near my coach to give you the item numbers, but you can call FMCA and they can tell you.