Sign in to follow this  
actionjackson

No Hot Water Pressure

This topic was discussed In January 2014.

I am having the same problem. 2002 Winnebago Journey. I bought this unit 2nd hand 3 years ago and have never used the bypass valve. Not sure about the original owner. Winterized in November using compressed air to clear water lines. This is my preferred method. On the way south in December my water pump died and had to purchase a new pump. The tech at McClain's RV near Dallas was having trouble getting the pump primed and suggested that I turn on the by-pass valve. This seemed to work and off we went. Several hours later we discovered that we could not get any hot water at any of the faucets.

By way of troubleshooting I unhooked the hot water hose at the Washer and hooked up a modified hose to the hot faucet. I had previously drained the hot water tank. I back washed about 3 gallons of water through the hot water tank. Didn't notice any particulate coming out of the tank. Hooked everything back up and still no hot water.

I'm of the opinion that the valve on the hot side is closed. Brett Wolfe mentioned a check valve might be stuck. It would have to be a one way valve as I had no trouble back washing the line from the washer.

Is my only option at this time to remove the tank and inspect the rear plumbing?

Any information would be appreciated.

actionjackson

Go to this link, look for your year; then the model. The proper PDF file should open.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Plumbing.htm

NOTE - you may have to first down load the file before it will open on the computer screen.

Then you can save a copy and look at all the pluming for your model.

If you would post the model of your coach, I will then be able to look at the same information if you need further info or help.

Rich.

Action J,

You may have a very simple problem and easy to fix. When you blew out your water lines you may have broken and dislodged a piece of one of your washers. I would start at the water heater outlet and go forward. I would almost bet that you will find a piece obstructing your hot water line.

Just my thought and I'm sticking with it. :lol::lol: :lol:

Herman

We had a similar problem. We couldn't get hot water at times, other times it would work. There is a check valve in the hot water heater where the cold water enters the heater. It allows cold water in and hot water is kept from circulating back out.

Our valve had plastic parts and the lifetime of the parts wasn't too long. The first stop to fix it the tech couldn't get the valve to unscrew from the tank so we had them just remove the broken piece which was blocking the water flow into the tank. That solved the problem and I never noticed any problem with the check valve out of commission. I don't winterize and I believe that is one reason that the check valve is there. The bypass valve would feed antifreeze into the water heater when winterizing without the check valve.

It is industry standard to use this system and when that valve fails, it can block the water flow. Ours was intermittent but it could also be continuous I suppose. We had some other plumbing done since then and the check valve was replaced but I made sure that the new one was brass.

Action,

Thanks for the information!

Have to agree with you that there is no check valve pictured.

Now, I want to check on what I think you are saying. NO water coming out any of the hot water lines, Correct?

The water heater is getting hot. Correct?

When you flushed out the hot water tank, did you remover the safety valve; the one outside and near the top of the tank? and also remover the lower drain plug from the tank?

Waiting for your reply.

Rich.

Water heater works on both LP and Electric. I opened the relief valve and then removed the bottom drain plug. I've confirmed that there is cold water entering the tank. I put a reverse hose on the hot water faucet at the next to the washer combo. Plenty of water coming out of the water heater. Didn't notice any strange particulate escaping from the tank. None of the hot water faucets are working. There IS a very very small trickle evident from all the taps. I'm still leaning towards by pass valve failure. Is this possibe?

Thanks for the info. Got to look at one more area of the plumbing system. There often is one located in one of the Bays. Generally close to the fresh water tank.

The valve you are looking for could be located in the area pictured on Page 9 of the plumbing drawing.

Do you have the owners manual? does it cover, winterizing of the coach?

The manual valve(s) used in this process are in the supply side for the fresh water tank, water pump and the supply line to the water heater.

Rich.

Upon further review of the schematic, we found the winter bypass solenoids in the water service center. One cold and one hot. I'll access behind the panel after the rain stops and see if I can ascertain anything.

I'll keep you posted.

Not clearly pictured or listed in the plumbing, there is a check valve in the cold water supply line at the back bottom of the water heat that has failed on a number of Winnebago coaches.

If you can get under the coach safely and take a look to see if indeed there is a check valve in the cold water supply line.

This is Winney's male part number-110438-02-000 Valve Check, Brass, 1/2" MPT x 1/2" MPT. This is the one listed in there call out list and the female part number-110438-01-000 Valve Check, Brass, 1/2" MPT x 1/2" FPT.

Hope this helps!

Rich.

Thanks, Action. You have taken the cold water plumbing out of the equation!

After printing out page 9 of the plumbing drawing, more information is viewable.

Looking at the printout, it shows a Strap valve that would be to the left of the Cold water by-pass valve and mounted to the back side of the water center panel. The valve number is 133491-01-CHT.

I could not find out any more information on the material / parts call out list provided by Winnebago and there is no notes or mention of it in the wiring drawings I have checked.

This valve appears to supply hot water to the hot water supply plumbing to all the taps.

This valve is not mentioned in the owners information covering the plumbing system.

You might give a call to Winnebago and ask if this is the valve that is causing your issue.

Rich.

I tried calling the Winnebago info line. Always had luck previously. They've changed their policy now and are now informing you to contact a Winnebago dealer. We're in Mexico as I speak, so we've decided to shelve the idea until we get back into the U.S.

The two water bypass solonoids are indeed in the water distribution center. This is going to be a nightmare accessing/testing them. My tech guru in Elkhart seems to think he can take one of the solonoids out and just by pass the bypass system. Don't use them to winterize, so it's not a big deal. We're probably looking at some serious money to simply replace them.

When we get this figured out I'll repost.

Thanks all.

Further to my last posting regarding no hot water pressure. We came through Elkhart, IN on our way home to have this issure dealt with.

The Tech at RVOne quickly figured out that it was not a water tank issue but either a check valve or hot water by-pass solenoid problem. He replaced the check valve and then determined that the hot water by-pass was probably kaput. He removed the solenoid and literally took it apart on the bench. The "plunger" on the inside was stuck either open or closed. He attempted a repair but to no avail. The solution was to remove the offending by-pass valve and put a plug in the hot water line.

Voila, we have water through the hot water tank, the first since last December. Since I've never used the by-pass system this is hardly an inconvenience.

Thanks to everyone who showed an interest.