huffypuff

Ceiling Fluorscent Light Out

First problem of this trip. The ceiling light rear bedroom went out. It flipped on a couple of times and went out again. It's either lost 12 volts or the ballast.

I'm a few days away from even looking at it for we are on the road.

Difficult to answer, but when you get a chance, remove the light and test the wires with a meter. When you say switch, I assume you mean a wall switch. The switch may be intermittent. If it comes down to replacing the light fixture and you are electrical knowledgeable, consider replacing the bulbs with LEDS.

If the fixture is fluorescent, I used 4 strips of LEDs to replace the two bulbs. Doing a search for LED strips will provide to you many solutions. I think mine was a 15 foot roll that was easily cut into 12 inch strips. The web site where I ordered the LED roll had connectors to make the installation easier.

One note though, the red wire was negative and the black wire was positive, just reverse of what I expected. If the fixture is incandescent, I used an 8x8 LED panel which gave more light than the bulb.

Try removing the tubes and turning them end for end. What can happen is the mercury has settled and no longer starts the process. I learned that trick from a Thin Lite rep and it worked for me.

Sounds like a good time to replace the fluorescent with LED. Take a look at Cabin Bright. I replaced all of my overhead fluorescents with Cabin Bright LED. Easy change using existing fixture. Much brighter!

Yes it is a fluorescent fixture with what looks like it has two 18 inch tubes. Just for the heck of it I smacked the fixture with the palm of my hand and it came on and worked since. I will still check it out when I get time and know it is not the wall switch. If I don't find the problem I will flip the tubes like as desertdeals69 says.

Second problem and this one I knew but had to prove it. The brake lights on the dash comes on dim sometimes. When that happens the leveler refuse to work for it thinks the parking brake is not set. Caught it not working and was able to yank at the wires going into the switch at the parking brake release and the light came on bright. I always like to prove a part bad before replacing.

Yes it is a fluorescent fixture with what looks like it has two 18 inch tubes. Just for the heck of it I smacked the fixture with the palm of my hand and it came on and worked since. I will still check it out when I get time and know it is not the wall switch. If I don't find the problem I will flip the tubes like as desertdeals69 says.

Second problem and this one I knew but had to prove it. The brake lights on the dash comes on dim sometimes. When that happens the leveler refuse to work for it thinks the parking brake is not set. Caught it not working and was able to yank at the wires going into the switch at the parking brake release and the light came on bright. I always like to prove a part bad before replacing.

I also smack the fixture and the lights came on. I thought that there was a loose wire so I took the fixture out and checked. No loose wire. Then the next time I met with a factory rep he explained what was actually happening and try flipping the tubes. They have been working for several years.

Opps I just noticed 6 more tubes in the galley. 4 overhead and 2 under the counter. I'm not going to count the halogen lights as they are also a high number. Herman there are way too many lights in this coach and the new one are worst.

Sound like a lot of Smack, Smack, turn around till you get home. B)

Herman

Mine were 15 years old when I had to smack them and since I turned them around they have been working for another 6 years and still going.

Over the last two or three years, I have replaced all the original fluorescent tubes in our coach. Which, considering the age, isn't so bad. Now I'm thinking it's too bad I had not thought of LEDs.

O well.

Jim Sanderson

1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'

2005 Honda Pilot

Canada, eh?

I have been replacing my florescent lights with LED's at the rate of 6 plus per year. The cost does not hit quite as hard that way and I bought a number of the LED's at rally's at half price or better. When there is a will, there is a way. The improvement is unbelievable.

I did 5 dome lights and two 18" double tube florescent ceiling lights for about $25.00 and have Parts left to do more.

That seems like a really good price. Where did you buy them?

Anybody know how to test the ballast? I have 12 doubles, 8 foot fixtures brand new in my garage and only 2 work. I have smacked and turned them around.

Carl

Carl,

If you have confirmed 120 VAC to them, replace the bulbs with new. If they don't come on, the ballast is the next "suspect".

I have 12 doubles 4 footers like you do in my garage and at 5 years one went out dead. I checked and had 120 volts to the ballast so replacing it was the answer. I brought the ballast at Lowes and the original electrical contractor swapped it out for me at no charge. These have the newer electronic ballast and use t8 tubes so be sure you match the number on the ballast you take out.