vettehead

Replacing Carpet & Tile With Hardwood

After some serious thought and argument's with the BOH we have decided to tackle replacing the carpet and ceramic tile in our coach. We are going to keep the carpet in the bedroom for the time being. Started by removing all the furniture as possible. Removing the old tile was the toughest task so far. Started with a hammer and wood chisel. Found out quickly that wasn't going to work out, bruised knuckles were the result. I dug out a air chisel that worked very well. Tile all came up in pieces, but at least it's up. Carpet was removed to find there was enough staples holding it down to do at least two more MH's. Got to be a better way, so I drug out the 7" disk grinder. You don't want to know what a mess that made. O K, staples gone, old glue, splinters, and tile ground down smooth. Plans are to do the slide also. I want to trim slide out with Stair Nose, trying to keep it as flush with the floor as possible. Also plan to trim with stair nose around the steps at the door.
Now I am ready to start laying hardwood. I have some laying in the flood for BOH approval. Hope to get started gluing it down tomorrow.

post-37700-0-44836200-1419804078_thumb.jpost-37700-0-67996200-1419804122_thumb.j

Please keep posting your progress, problems and triumph's. I am going to attempt to do our 2003 Pace Arrow. I don't know if we should attempt it in Connecticut winters.

Vettehead, What make and year coach do you have? One of your concerns is getting the height right or you'll have problems with your slide-outs! Herman has a valid point.

Please keep sharing.

Vapor barrier may not be a requirement, but it wouldn't hurt, since the coach moves and spills happen. Quite often you bring in moisture with the slides or you have a high humidity environment.

Happy New Year!

Carl

Started laying floor this AM. Not such a bad chore. Glue is messy, but cleans up with a rag and thinner. I didn't install a vapor barrier. Other floor didn't have one, didn't see a need for it.

The floor I am installing is 3/8" thick. Tile was 1/4" so clearance on the slide shouldn't be a problem. Checked clearance on slide, determined it is a go. Placing the Stair Nose around step was very time consuming. The 84" piece I purchased was 4" short. Ordered another ($45.00) this afternoon. 2 weeks before it arrives.

Jim, I agree about "sore everything". I did start in the middle and work toward the side. I placed a string equal distance from the wall and started there. By doing this I was sure to get a straight run down the middle. Placed a stop block under the string and pulled the boards up tight to them. I left about 1/4" against the wall. Trim will cover that.

This is the first hardwood I have installed. I am learning as I go.

If you use urethane adhesive, you will have no squeaks. I, too, have been in this business- since like 1972

Yes Erinee is correct this is another product that can be used.

Polyurethanes are used in the manufacture of (nonflexible), high-resilience foam seating; rigid foam insulation panels; microcellular foam seals and gaskets; durable elastomeric wheels and tires (such as roller coaster, escalator and skateboard wheels); automotive suspension bushings; electrical potting compounds; high performance adhesives; surface coatings and surface sealants; synthetic fibers (e.g., Spandex); carpet underlay; hard-plastic parts (e.g., for electronic instruments); and hoses.

I did use urethane glue (messy stuff) :angry: . Have used almost a 5 gal bucket of the stuff. All I like is the bathroom and around the shower. Well there is still the slide that I have to wait on another 84" stick of stair nose that is on back order. I trimmed out the top of the entry steps with the stair nose, and am well satisfied with the look so far. :rolleyes:

I replaced my carpet last year with engineered hardwood, hickory, last fall. I used a polyurethane adhesive and haven't had any problems.

The job turned out great and the floor looks great.

I'd attach pics but haven't had any luck doing that in the past.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

Floorit. The original question is laying down wood flooring and with or without vapor barrier. That has been answered. All the rest is TMI.

Carl

I have all the flooring glued down except the slide. Cleaning the glue up was a problem. Started on the slide yesterday. Plans are to trim it out with stair nose. Am satisfied with results so far. BOH is happy also.

Have installed the last of the flooring on the slide out. Trimmed it with Stair Nose. Glad the gluing is done. Really messy job, but the floor is not going anywhere. Hope I never have to take it up. Moving furniture back in, except one couch. Plan to install a recliner in it's place.

Phil, with the urethane adhesive, removing the floor, you would be better off trading your coach and get another one. That is some tough adhesive.

Phil, the thumbnail only allow me to see one picture. Looks like a nice in process project. I hate carpet in the front of the coach that is only meant to get dirty enough to require a professional to clean.

It's been informative! Would love to see the end result with pictures? I also have thought about wood or cork flooring, since I travel with a shedding dog, rug is not an option. Tile gets hard on an old body and kneeling down is painful! :(

Best of luck.

Carl

I have completed the task of removing carpet/ tile and installing hardwood flooring. Removing the tile was the largest task. I finally, after several bruised knuckles and saying things that I shouldn't, used an air chisel. That worked very well.

We used a 3/8 laminated floor purchased from the local hardware. Glued it with urethane adhesive that was very messy. It cleaned up well with paint thinner. We retained the carpet (for the time being) in the bedroom. Hardwood was placed through out the front and on the slide. Stair nose was used around the steps and leading edge of the slide. Turned out the be more work fitting the miters, but it looks better. Not sorry we went that way.

Didn't know I could hurt in places I had forgotten. Guess getting older has it's perks. All in all not a bad job. We are pleased with it. Those that are reluctant to start such a job, it's not as bad one would think.

Having trouble posting pictures

I did manage to post some Pictures in the Photo section

Howdy All. I'm not much of a handy man so I had FLOORITMOTORCOACH in North Carolina do the work on my 2006 Winnebago Tour. I had them replace the carpet and tile, front to back with laminate. They also put in a new flip couch and a new outside TV and stereo. They did a great job. Wife loves it! :):) :)