jvmcmillan2003,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There is NOT any "best braking system". That is why some companies offer several different types.

An important consideration: How long will you keep your toad? If a long time, a longer initial install time and not having to move the brake system in and out is very appealing. Change every year or two or two more than just that one vehicle, a portable system would fit your needs better.

As Brett suggests, no "one size fits all solution". I also have a DP towing a Jeep Liberty and was looking for long term solution with ease of hook up to go with Blue Ox tow bar. Went with M&G Engineering system to take advantage of the coaches air brake system. Install was a little tricky but was able to do it myself with a little "shade tree mechanic" experience. instructions provide are quite clear and after install, system is rather inconspicuous and trouble free. Connect both ends of a flex hose, attach lanyard for break away to coach and toad, pump up air in break away tank, and we're off. Braking is proportional and requires not electrical connection or battery drain.

I had a portable system that locked on and burned the front rotors and calipers. I now have the Air Force One and have been very satisfied for about 50,000 miles of towing.

My preference is the M & G Engineering unit. Have had one on three different Vehicles never a problem. I have gotten so good that I install my own. However there are some very good portable unit on the market but they must be installed and used properly.

Happy New Year.

Herman

With a diesel, you will want a system which does not operate via inertia. The portable systems I am familiar with operate with an inertial switch. A system which senses the braking of the coach with a change in momentum will set off the toad brakes when the jake brake is applied. The toad brakes will be on during the whole time the engine brake is being applied. This can result in long periods of brake application and overheating of the brake pads and possible damage. A system which operates off the braking system of the coach, either electrical or physical is the best choice for diesels.

I've been using the Brakemaster system since we first began towing. With almost 200,000 miles, I've had no problems with the system. Some people don't like the fact that you are tapping into the brake system but it makes the system very simple and it is proportional. Apply the service brakes hard and you get hard braking in the toad. A light application of brakes in the coach gives you a light application in the toad. Apply the engine brake and nothing happens in the toad until you apply the service brakes. Air from the coach braking system activates a pneumatic cylinder which depresses the brake pedal of the toad.

Once installed, hooking up requires only the connection of an air hose from the coach to the toad. The pneumatic cylinder to depress the brake pedal is installed hooking it to a peg on the floor under the front seat and then attaching it to the brake pedal. An air hose from the pneumatic cylinder attaches to an air connection under the dash. There is an indicator light for the dash of the coach which is activated by a wire to the toad. This can be wired into the wiring harness that controls the lights on the toad when you are towing or can be run as a separate wire that accompanies the air line. Either way, hookup is very simple. The addition of a small cylinder for reserve pressure in the toad and a thin wire cable from coach to a switch on the toad adds a break-away system which will apply the brakes of the toad if it ever should separate from the coach.

Your decision to put a braking system on the toad is a very wise decision.