mlhewitt100

96 Cruisemaster Won't Shift Out Of Park

Mike welcome to the forum.

How long since the last time you drove it?

Does it start?

Not that familiar with your coach but does it lock your steering wheel?

Do you have some other system that may have an interlock to prevent driving like jacks down?

There will be people on soon with more knowledge on your coach.

Bill

Bill the RV was my mom's until recently and sat for several years. It does start up and run. It also has the notorious autobrake system common on the Chevy P chassis. The steering wheel does turn when it is running. Something I forgot to mention in the original post the brake light is on.

Mike, by any chance with the unit parked on a slight incline or decline when last parked? If so and the unit was put into park, let off the brake pedal then put into park then the shifting pall may be in a bind.

Herman

Mike.

Herman made a good point.

Also, think there is a good possibility that the brake shoes are not releasing because- the brake cable, shoe pivots, and the drum are very rusted.

NOW, if you need to work under the coach, be sure to block the wheels. Because of the location of the drive shaft brake; you might need to remove the drive shaft and remove the brake assembly to free things up and then buy some new parts before reassembling.

There is some information on the auto park brake set up, so you will need to cross that bridge once you have evaluated everything

Rich.

I believe Rich is right by saying to check the parking brake at the front of the driveshaft not releasing. It could be stuck on by corrosion or some other system is telling it to stay on if brake light on dash stays on. The parking brake should automatically release when transmission is moved out of park.

There bis too much variables to figure out online. Shifter release button, shifter cable, some other interlock system could give you problems. I know cars you have to step on the brake to release the shifter interlock. I don't know what you got

On most of the newer coaches the gear shifter won't move unless the brake pedal is depressed. We had a 2000 Hurricane that wouldn't move out of park, I found the brake switch came loose and wouldn't release. It also had a fuse in line which didn't help matters. The switch was a pull type. Just a thought?

Mike,

Many good Ideas here. If you get to where you have to jack up the rear to inspect the Parking Brake, try to shift it with the rear wheels off the ground first. As Rich said be sure you have the front wheels BLOCKED before you jack it up.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Herman

Just a thought, you might need a little help but try rocking the coach front to back it might free up the pawl. With out being there it is hard to trouble shoot. Perhaps the wrecker that towed it put/left a preload on the linkage when they parked it. Have you checked the fluid level for the parking brake?

Bill