gelo.keith

Towing A Lifted 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

We currently tow a 2012 Grand Cherokee behind our motorhome. I'm buying a 2014 AEV Wrangler, lifted 3 1/2 inches. The Wrangler sits approx. 10 inches higher than the Grand Cherokee. Towing the Grand Cherokee behind the motorhome, the tow bar is level. How important is it to have the tow bar level when towing? I'd like to tow the lifted Wrangler but am concerned about the tow bar not being level due to the height of the Wrangler.

I can relate one experience of not having the towbar close to level. Towing a lifted Jeep, the towbar was almost 5" from level. He had towed the Jeep hundreds if not thousands of miles with a braking system trouble free until he had to make a panic stop. Due to the law of physics, the Jeep raised up and over the towbar hitch attachment to the point of stiking the rear of the Super C motorhome hard enough it totaled the Jeep and did almost $15,000 damage to the Super C.

Blue Ox states: The tow bar should never be angled "up" towards the car from the coach.

Please take the time to read the article from Blue OX.

http://www.blueox.com/t-TowingPhysics101.aspx

Keith,

Think of the tow bar at that much of an angle as ramps. They do make adapter that will raise you receiver up quite a bit. I would look to see how much it would take to get the Tow bar within 2 to 3 inches of level. To get such an adapter I would check with an Off Road shop.

Herman

John,

The off road bumper shown in your picture should be able to have base plates made and attached in some way. If I remember correctly Blue Ox or Roadmaster makes a bolt on base plate. It would require drilling holes in the bumper. But if the wench attached to the bumper can pull the jeep out of mud a hole or over boulders it should be strong enough to tow the Jeep. Check with the Bumper Manufacture and with Blue Ox or Roadmaster.

Herman

Here is what I did. My bumper is a Rock Hard full width bumper and the tow mounting plates were an option which bolt into the existing mounting spots using longer bolts. Rock Hard offers tow plates for both Roadmaster and Blue OX. With this set up, the tow plates are thru bolted to the frame ends, so there is little strain on the bumper itself, It may be possible you could retrofit the tow plates to an existing bumper, but you would need to do some drilling and I would be careful as to how and where they are attached.

I have only had the set up for a few months, but have had no problems towing from Indiana to Pennsylvania and now down to Florida. I find that this option allows me to tow the Jeep, but not loose front ground clearance when off roading.

post-40568-0-38089700-1420643115_thumb.jpost-40568-0-67348700-1420643136_thumb.j

Thank you for pics! Been wanting to do the same with mine. I currently use the normal set up, but want to put in full skid plates and can't do it. Where did you install the lights and brake connections, also safety cables?

Carl

We tow a 2010 Wrangler with a 3" lift behind our Dolphin RV. I added an off road bumper last year from LOD Offroad, It looks a lot like the photo you posted. It solved two problems the bumper is made with a low winch mount which I wanted and it came with the baseplates welded on the front of the bumper. Having the plates welded the made my tow bar level with the RV which it was not before I added the bumper. They will weld on Blue ox or the Road Master mounts. This eliminates the frame baseplates which reduces ground clearance on the trail and saves about 20lbs which is gained back by the weight of the bumper. To mount my wiring plug I made a mount to hold the female plug behind the grill. This is verily visible when not in use.

Good luck and I know you will enjoy the jeep. If you are looking for a RV Jeep group try the FMCA 4 Wheelers.

I just picked up my jeep from an after market shop. No base plate needed. I will be towing, using the shackle mounts that are the same size as the Road Master mounts and spaced apart the same as with the bar! My Jeep is still a work in progress and next is roll bars and 4 point seat belt harness, also a steel rear bumper and winch.

Since my lift is 3" with 18" rimes and 33" tires, I got a variable height receiver for bus from American Fence. FMCA 4 Wheelers have a very restrictive list of must have equipment for membership!!! I do believe in safety, but I'm not going on a safari, just enjoyable ride with local 4X4 clubs.

I will have pics when Jeep is ready....about 3 months, also will be in Madison for FMCA reunion in July.

post-39881-0-48332500-1425644569_thumb.j

Gelo.keith, we also tow a lifted Wrangler part of the reason I lifted it was the coach was higher than the Jeep, I think I took it too far, now the jeep is higher than the coach. I use a Demco Commander tow bar, I called Demco and they recommend like Brett said 3", I installed a Blue OX hitch Riser which leveled me out.

Hey fellow Jeepers... I just ordered a Blue Ox adapter that will install directly to my aftermarket bumpers' Tow Hooks (2014 JKU). I should have the Blue Ox System within the next couple of weeks, and I too will have to level the Tow Bar. With a 3" left and 35" Tires, I am worried about getting it level.

You guys are flat towing the Jeeps with Soft Tops.. Do you foresee any problems with wind, etc? I plan to tow with the soft top up.

Thanks, Ken

PS: how to you paste photos? Thanks

Ken, I close the jeep up tight so no dirt gets tossed inside. Our jeep only has been in tow for maybe 8000 miles between both coaches we have owned, never had a soft top problem on this Jeep or the 2008 JKU we got rid of.

Photos, click the "more reply options" below on the right side of your screen. and look for the "Attach files" button.

Joe

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler which I just had the base plates added and my Jeep was about 6 inches higher that my motorhome so I purchased a 6 inch riser to get them level. My Jeep is a standard jeep with 255/75/17.5 tires on it. I thought about trying it without getting the riser but it measured well about the 3 inch safety margin. So now I am level and good to go.

The problem I am having is I had installed the setup for Even Brake which the instructions said I needed a brake relay which we installed and a lighting kit which we installed. When I test the Even Brake it works fine but then it tells me it cannot find the Brake Relay so it is not working. Going to try and install a wire from the motorhome brakes to see if it finds the relay them. Roadmaster does not have any idea why it is not working and tells me the wire is not necessary but don't know what else to do as I feel I really need the supplemental braking system.