john.leto@yahoo.com

Towing A 4 Door Wrangler With Class A Gasser

We are looking to buy a toad. We have had our gas class A for almost a year and rented cars last year, it worked, but was very troublesome.

Because our tow capacity isn't that of a pusher I am concerned that our car or choice (we are looking at Wranglers) would be too much for what we can do.

So, I guess I have 2 questions, the first has anybody flat towed a wrangler or wrangler unlimited behind a v10 class A?

The second, any leads on where to look to buy a jeep already set up to tow?

We currently tow a Jeep Liberty which weighs about the same as the Wrangler according to the towing guides. Prior to our current coach, we had a Four Winds Hurricane with the V10 engine and towed the Jeep with it. We never had any problems in the Texas Hill country where we lived. Really did not know the Jeep was there unless you looked in the rear camera.

As far as where to find a Wrangler already set up for towing, I am afraid I am no help. I installed the base plates and taillight wiring on our Liberty myself. In most cases, you will have to buy new base plates but you can save money on the tow bar and braking system on Ebay.

John, we towed a Wrangler for several years behind our 28 footer gas coach. It had a 454 Chevy. engine. towed just fine. We have a Roadmaster tow bar that I was able to attach to the front of the Jeep. The Wrangler, due to the front end makes for an easy mount. With and talent most any one can mount a set of base plates.

Good Luck

Herman

John,

First question is how the Jeep's weight compares with your motorhome's rated towing capacity as well as GCVW. Frame extension, etc by the coach builder mean that not all gas chassis (even the same year and chassis) have the same capacity.