What are the pros and cons of dolly towing vs flat towing?

I have a 2007 Honda Accord I can dolly tow unless there is a good argument for flat towing.

Thanks

Most Honda products are great towable vehicles-- no additional equipment required. No particular preparation required except the addition of a base plate and tow bar.

Towing four wheels down is much easier to hook-up, un-hook and takes up less space at home or in the campground. I have done both and as a senior the thought of the car dolly and it's particulars is not something I would want to do again. Towing four down is about the same cost for the Honda as to purchase a quality tow dolly or a little less. If you don't have to tow different cars, and do not expect to change towed vehicle for a few years, I would with out a doubt go for four wheel down towing.

There are really multiple answers to "what is towable 4 wheels down".

The official answer from the vehicle manufacturer-- and Honda does not approve the Accord for towing 4 wheels down. Yes, this often includes both mechanical considerations and legal ones.

Mazda, for example has had a policy that its vehicles were not towable 4 wheels down. For years the Ford Ranger, same truck, same drivetrain, same assembly plant WAS deemed towable by Ford.

The practical answer-- focuses more on the mechanical portion of the "can it be towed 4 wheels down".

Certainly if a vehicle is under warranty, towing 4 wheels down could void the warranty if that towing resulted in damage.

Out of warranty-- you will have to decide for yourself if you want to expand from the manufacturer's official answer.

BTW, here in the FMCA website, FMCA members can pull up what the manufacturers rated as towable all the way back to 1999 (you must be logged into the main FMCA website to access them): http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing.html

We used a tow dolly for the first year on the road. Since then we have towed 4 wheels down. I never looked back. You might like it but I would never use a tow dolly again.

aboeck3

I am involved with the South Central Area, Six-State Rally Association and am a Volunteer in Parking for National Rallies. One thing that is a problem is where to park tow dollies.

Herman

A lot of sites are too short or too small, or rules restrict putting the tow dolly on the grass. So where to put the dolly becomes an issue.

I just slide the hitch bar under the MH. All that is out is the wheels of the dolly. Adds 3' or so length.

It is so much more than the question of where to park the dolly. When we started out we used a dolly to tow. It had surge brakes that applied when we slowed. Good idea, poorly installed. The flange which held the brake against the compression caused by the slowing of the coach broke. We had that repaired twice. We had a flat tire on the road in the middle of Kansas and could not find a replacement tire anywhere. I had to go to the nearest dealer for the tow dolly to get a tire and it was on a rim so now I had an extra rim (at extra expense). I figured I'd get a spare tire but now searching in the St. Louis area at major dealers I still could not find the correct tire size. That was it. I called the manufacturer and told them the whole story which included signs of failure in the arm. They agreed to replace the dolly. I returned it to the factory near Houston on my way south. I picked up the replacement brand new dolly and put it up for sale. It was gone in two weeks and I never looked back. It is just one more piece of equipment to cause problems.

I heard a speaker who said one time, the more tires you own the more complicated your life is. I think that is true!

It is so much more than the question of where to park the dolly. When we started out we used a dolly to tow. It had surge brakes that applied when we slowed. Good idea, poorly installed. The flange which held the brake against the compression caused by the slowing of the coach broke. We had that repaired twice. We had a flat tire on the road in the middle of Kansas and could not find a replacement tire anywhere. I had to go to the nearest dealer for the tow dolly to get a tire and it was on a rim so now I had an extra rim (at extra expense). I figured I'd get a spare tire but now searching in the St. Louis area at major dealers I still could not find the correct tire size. That was it. I called the manufacturer and told them the whole story which included signs of failure in the arm. They agreed to replace the dolly. I returned it to the factory near Houston on my way south. I picked up the replacement brand new dolly and put it up for sale. It was gone in two weeks and I never looked back. It is just one more piece of equipment to cause problems.

I heard a speaker who said one time, the more tires you own the more complicated your life is. I think that is true!

Agreed, the last line is so true. We first towed with a dolly, first trip, when I hooked up at home it was simple, got to the campground and I was wearing Khaki shorts and a light colored polo, both went into the trash after. When I crawled under the dolly to unhook the safety chains I got dirty from the campground and the under carriage of our car. We used the dolly for a few more trips and sold it. We eventually bought another Jeep Wrangler (#5) with a manual transmission...I do not miss the dolly. My hook up now takes me less than 3 minutes and is effortless, no crawling under, no trying to find a place to park the dolly..etc...etc.

It is understood that a tow dolly may be pushed under the back of a coach. However if you have the pleasure of attending an Area or National Rally, I am sad to say you may have a coach pulled in so close behind you there is no room for the dolly and it will need to be parked with the other dollies and trailers. Doing so is not a problem to many folks and are just happy to be there.

That being said in today society many families have several vehicles with front wheel drive and the dolly will allow them to tow which ever vehicle they want aka a good point for Dollies.

Happy towing which ever way you decide to tow.

Herman

We had towed our '09 CRV four wheel down. Now we have a Honda Accord and can only tow it on a dolly. We are getting our from Acme Tow Dolly Co., in NC. We are also purchasing a spare wheel w/tire. Tongue weight is 50 ponds and can stand it up in our garage or in a campground. Good reviews and dealing with this small company has been excellent. BTW, the dolly comes w/a five year warranty, disc brakes, and an additional five years may be added at time of purchase. We are even going to pick it up at he factory as soon as I have a hitch receiver put on the car, saving considerable shipping cost. Hope this info helps others.

Doc Mike

I'm putting the hitch receiver on the car to tow it from Manufacturer in NC to our home in WI. Beyond that, I want it to tow the dolly in a campground to another spot to store it if the space not available at camp site. The hitch install is less $$$ than having the dolly shipped. We also visit with friends near by in SC.

The folks at Acme (think Roadrunner and Wiley Coyote, and have a chuckle) have been super to deal with. No, i don't have any financial interest in the company. You can Google rthem and visit their very comprehensive, informative, web site. Hope this answers the question.

Doc Mike