Sign in to follow this  
larrydyork

Purging Contaminants From Water Lines

I'm currently in an RV park in west Texas. The park is on well water, and the state has advised the park that their water can only be used for washing, not for drinking or cooking. Not having known this until check-in, I parked with a partially full fresh water tank. We've been using bottled water for drinking and cooking, and the park water for washing, and bathing.

When I return home to clean water, does anyone have a suggestion of how to purge the contaminants from my water lines (not the tank, it has clean, "good" water)? Should I just run water through them? I don't know of a way to put bleach into either the fresh water tank or lines, as both fill from the shore-water fill-point.

The coach is a 2013 Winnibago Journey.

My coach has a port in the wet cabinet (similar to the ports to allow the grey and black tanks to be flushed) that allows me to use a section of hose to dump bleach or water freshener into the tank. I would search for this on your coach. Just running this chlorinated water from your tank through the water lines should suffice. When you smell bleach from all faucets they should be clean. After that, run all the water out of the tank, and flush the tank and lines with fresh water until all the chlorine smell is gone, then refill the tank with fresh water.

Larry,

A very simple way to inject Bleach into your tank is to connect your water line to your coach then fill the hose with bleach then hook it up to your faucet and fill the tank. your may want to move your coach back and forth several times to mix the bleach. Then run water through all the faucets as said till each, hot and cold, smells of Bleach. Let the water sit in the lines and tank for a while, then drain the tank with fresh water and flush the lines. I my self would fill, flush and drain several times. Also remove your filters before flushing and when finished replace with new filters.

Herman

I had not thought of that method Herman. It did not come to mind. I guess I was assuming (I know, bad thing to do) that other coaches had the water fill port as mine does. Good advice.

How do you get anti freeze into the system? I can remove the suction hose from my freshwater pump and pull antifreeze or bleach/water into the system.

Thanks for the confirmations. However I can't take full credit for the idea, I first saw it posted by Brett. Just shows how much we are helping so many folks out there.

Herman

Thanks to all for your excellent comments. I found a wonderful gadget at Home Depot, a small (cup and a half) "bowl" with fittings for water hoses. I think this was supposed to be a small in-line filter. Connect the hoses to the gizmo and to the fill port on the coach, full the bowl with Clorox (next time, I'll look into hydrogen peroxide), and flush through both the hose and all the pipes.

Simple, elegant solution.