MONTIE

Garmin 465T GPS

Has anyone tried the new Garmin 465T, a trucker's model that gives things like low clearance on overpasses. I wanted a report before I paid $500 for a new GPS.

We've had one since they came out, gave the old year Garmin to our daughter. We've used it for a couple of trips; one of almost four weeks, and two shorter trips. It gave us an incorrect turn twice, but those weren't of any consequence, as we were near the campgrounds we were headed to, and a quick phone call took care of it.

One of the features I like is the clearance, and the when in truck mode, it will take you where trucks can go, and not on roads that are restricted. I also like that it will let you know if there is potential slowing ahead (though this won't work for an accident that hasn't been reported, or a brand new road closure).

I'm not very happy with the Bluetooth, but it is better than the last Garmin (which was only about a year old). Overall it is an improvement if you have a Class C, as we do, or a Larger Class A. I'm happy with our purchase. For what it's worth, and I've no interest in the company, we bought that last three GPS from "GPS NOW" (I believe ) in NC; good service and knowledgable sales person.

Hope this info helps.

Doc Mike

Montie;

We have had a 465T since they came out and I feel it was a very good buy for the money. We recently traveled HWY 93 along the Bitter Root range in Montana and this device gave us all kinds of useful information. When traveling secondary road not only will it give you audible signals something is going to happen, i.e. narrow road, curves ahead, and down grades it is extremely accurate in keeping trip records. Personally, I wouldn't own any other device.

Best Regards,

Jim

This information is good to know. I to am interested in this GPS. My Garmin Nuvi 350 also gave me an incorrect turn last time used it to get to a campground. I think al GPS's will do that now and again. I have tried a Magellin and I prefer the Garmin. I am thinking seriously about this new 465T since I am new to driving a Motor home. I am hoping it will keep me out of unnecessary trouble.

I failed to mention a couple of items that make this unit unique. For those of you driving diesel pushers, there is also a selection available that offers the nearest TRUCK mechanics. I know that you aren't driving trucks, but with your engine/tranny you might be in need of emergency repairs at some point.

With respect to the "Points of Interest" category, it also lists truck fuel stops as well as at least as many POIs as other GPS units, if not more.

I find it an asset even driving our Class C and towing. I can live with the few wrong diredctions, which other GPS do as well....they are only an electronic devise after all.

Wind at your backs and smooth sailing.

Doc Mike

We have a Garmin Nuvi 465T, have had it all summer. So far it's treated us quite well, hasn't led us down any tight roads and with the 'find diesel fuel stations' option it makes finding a place to fill up pretty simple. The display is quite bright and easy to read text, notifications come up bright and the touch screen is pretty responsive. It seems the screen is where most GPS manufacturers skimp, they are either dull and washed out, or non-responsive to normal touch. You just about have to put your finger through the thing to make it do something.

Not with the nuvi 465, which was a blessing, I always felt like I was going to poke right through our old tomtom.

One reason GPS units sometimes give wrong info on campgrounds is that they are only as good as the coordinates provided by the campground. An example is Topsail Hill in the Florida panhandle. All the GPS units missed it because the campground provided the wrong coordinates. Just saying sometimes its not the fault of the GPS.

I've been using the Garmin 560LMT model since March 2011 and I'm very happy with it. It has warned me of low clearance issues a couple times and so far hasn't taken me down any roads where I shouldn't be other.

I plan buying the Garmin 560LTM very shortly. Seems it is not in stock at a store, so plan to order thru Walmart site to store. They have it for 339.00, and delivery to closest WMT is 7 to 10 days.

Anyone with a better idea, either to purchase, or on the unit itself?

Thanks

My real preference is DeLorme software on a laptop in conjunction with paper maps especially the Rand McNallley truckers atlas. I prefer to lay out the exact route I want to follow without relying on a GPS to keep me off roads I don't want to be on. If I want to follow a scenic route on secondary roads, I can do that.

I go overboard when researching my route. I use the Garmin 560LMT, Rand McNally Truckers atlas, and the night before I will do the route through Google Maps (though their routes conflict occasionally with the actual route I'm going to use). I like the Google maps because I can actually view most of the turns with an actual picture. I will also use Google Earth to view certain locations (i.e., campgrounds). Overall I have been very happy with the Garmin unit.

Originally purchaced the Rand-McNally. I love the RV features and it was very intuitive to use but i never took it on a trip as the screen clarity, although large, was poor. The display is like the old laptops in that it was not very bright and one had to be looking directly straight on to view it. This took my copilot out of the loop. Returned and went to the Garmin 560LMT as have had Garmin products in the past. The display is 100 times better, although smaller. It can be viewed at 150 degrees +. Operation is pretty simple.

It has some nice features but it is not as RV friendly as the RM but it does help with truck routes, low clearance and other warnings. It has an RV mode but I find the best info is in the truck mode. Lane Assist and Junction View is very good and invaluable when driving on unfamiliar highways. Having a GPS to remind you to make turns and to "look ahead" for services is a wonderful too.

We have only used it around town to familiarize ourselves with it but have a 5,000 mile trip coming up to put it to the test. The 465T is a smaller version and lacks some of the features of the larger screen 560. Go to Garmin website to compare and see what works best.

Walmart.com has both, $250 or $340 respectively and I highly recommend lifetime maps. No GPS is perfect.

Common sense and operator input cannot be replaced.