lherlocker

Allison Transmission Codes

There is nothing wrong with a K&N filter.  I did the beta testing for them and they monitored my oil all along the time and it was doing the job correctly.  When it went into production I got one of them and when I got my new to me coach I installed one on it. I've got about 20K miles on the two production filters. I put about 13K mile on the beta model.

I don't fool with these diesels.  This is the fourth one for me, and I get nothing but OEM parts.  It's not worth screwing something up to save a few bucks.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

I don't fool with these diesels.  This is the fourth one for me, and I get nothing but OEM parts.  It's not worth screwing something up to save a few bucks.

YUP! With the technology in todays engines, the engine will only take so much in, no point in giving it more, especially dirt. When I was at the dealer K&N = Cash work, no warranty when your engine was dusted and there was a dirt trail down the intake tube.

I though the K&N would be a good idea, I learn more about diesels every day.  I located the lift pump and will post a pic when I figure out how to post it, pretty greasy right there.  Is it possible that the lift pump is bad and the VP44 is OK.  The lift pump looks easy enough to replace, the VP44 doesn't look too difficult with the exception of the location under the bed and getting to it.  I'm not sure about getting it from underneath. I will wait until the snow melts and the temps get above freezing.   If I just replace the lift pump, can it be damaged by not doing the VP44 at the same time or if one is bad, both are bad?

Delphi HFP923 Fuel Lift Pump for Dodge Ram 2500 3500 Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel Mine looks more like this lift pump.  More of a upside down bell look. I'm embarrassed how dirty this motor is! getPart?uid=30333281&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=IMG_6625.PNG

Bingo!!! replace it!

Since you have an electronic engine, not mechanical you have some options.

This is the pump I have on my ISL, call them and see what model you will need for your HP. It comes with hose and fittings to relocate it out of that tight spot. Since you have an ISB you will not need any of the other modifications like I had to do. Cross your fingers and hope the VP44 Injection pump is not damaged from running it with low fuel pressure.

http://store.fassride.com/shop/diesel-fuel-pumps/adjustable-diesel-fuel-pumps.php

16 hours ago, Strats said:

I though the K&N would be a good idea, I learn more about diesels every day.  I located the lift pump and will post a pic when I figure out how to post it, pretty greasy right there.  Is it possible that the lift pump is bad and the VP44 is OK.  The lift pump looks easy enough to replace, the VP44 doesn't look too difficult with the exception of the location under the bed and getting to it.  I'm not sure about getting it from underneath. I will wait until the snow melts and the temps get above freezing.   If I just replace the lift pump, can it be damaged by not doing the VP44 at the same time or if one is bad, both are bad?

The K&N filter is a good idea.  If an installation shows a dirt trail down the intake that is probably caused by a faulty installation, not sealed properly.  If a filter is faulty by design it would be passing minute amounts of dirt with the air mixture and would not leave dirt trails you could see.  The lift pump is easy to replace however when it was new it was marginal as it has only 6-7 psi to the vp44.  The weak point of the ISB is vp44 as the expected life span is about 100K miles.  My new to me coach had 99,865 miles on it and a failed lift pump so after researching the situation I decided to go with an Air Dog complete fuel delivery system which provides the vp44 with 15 psi of clean airless fuel because it has its own return line.  The vp44 I used was built by Thoroughbred for the 275.  It has more power than when I first got the coach.

Thanks for all the help.  I will keep you informed as I move forward weather permitting.  I'm glad it started going out just a few miles from home after a 2,500 mile trip with no tow  needed.  Looking forward to traveling this summer.  If it was running I would be heading to a warmer climate this weekend!  Thanks again.  Sorry this thread covered more than tranny codes.

Strats.

You have nothing to be sorry for! :D Quite often we stray, and as long as it is positive and somewhat related to OP, it's all good..:)  You should read some other post's that we strayed..:o..this one is a kitty cat ! :rolleyes::lol:

Cat

Strats, Herman.

If this had been last year, Joe would have made the trip for a six pack and some BBQ..:lol:  Now, he's on a strict diet and exercise regime! :blink:  Wonder what he will cook up on his Camping Trips this Spring and Summer? :o Bulgur on toast points, chased by water? :P:lol: 

I don't like when people ask for help and then they don't post the results of what they did to repair.  I did a lot of research on the different lift pumps that were recommended such as Air Dog and Fass.  Today was a nasty, cold, freezing rain day here in Cincy and I was tired of watching youtube video's of how to's so I went to the coach, turned on the furnace and a basketball game to see what was needed for the lift pump replacement.  I was warm, nice and dry and the next thing I knew I had the old pump out and had a decision to make.  Since I already bought a half dozen fuel filters that I didn't want to waste and was in the repair groove,  I decided to put a stock lift pump back in to see if the VP44 was good or bad.  Autozone had the lift pump with a lifetime warranty for 138.00 so what the heck.  I'll upgrade the lift when I do the VP44.  I installed the new lift pump, cleaned up the motor and it's now running better than ever.  No bucking, no lag, climbs steep hills, good throttle response and fine at WOT.  VP44 seems to be fine.  I know these pumps aren't the best pumps but the peace of mind and the 4 hours of labor to replace it was well worth it. I can upgrade it next time in less than 2 hours since I'm familiar with it now so thanks again for all the help.  Now back to figuring out the turn signal issue!  

Regards,

Strats

Congratulations on your effort,  sure makes one feel good when you make your own repairs.

Jim

Thanks for the update.  Going to a Air Dog system is a total replacement of a few parts such as fuel lines, 1/2 id suction (part of the kit) a return line to the tank and brackets for the pump and filters.  Well worth the effort.

:lol:

Strats.  On behalf of us all.  Thanks for keeping us informed.  Not going near your turn signal...:lol::wub:

Carl

Strats,

As said, Congrats. I to like to do as much work as I can myself.:rolleyes: Like yourself it is always easier on the second time. Don't you just love it when after you complete a job you find a article or video showing the project and you said, "So that how it's done. Thats much easier than the way I did it."  DUH!:wub:

Herman

I have never paid for a repair on any of my cars or my house.  I do everything myself.  I have a 1990 Mustang 2-door LX Sport coupe convertible with a 349 Stroker motor with 150 shot of nitrous that pushes 500HP at the crank.  I rebuilt the motor and swapped the auto trans to a Tremek 5 speed with a centerforce HD clutch that runs the quarter mile in the 10's.  I have a 85 red Corvette that I built the motor also, it has about 475HP to the rear wheels with a 700r tranny with a 2800 RPM stall converter that runs in the 11's so I can turn a wrench, I even installed a few mods on my Hemi 300C.  I guess you figured out I like HP.  Diesels are just new to me but I'll get the hang of it.  I was hit on my motorcycle 15 years ago and broke my back and neck so my body will feel the lift pump replacement for a week or two.  I'm limited on what I can do at 55 with a 95 year old body!  The cold weather makes it worse!  Thanks again.  The Air Dog adds I saw with the air separator was genius.  Since I had 6 filters I decided to wait until next time.  I just want this coach to run good, I have plenty of fast toys! 

Strats, and you are a Mustang guy...I knew I liked you!! I had several, the last was an 86 Saleen Convertible 351W supercharged, Like a big dummy I sold it. 

Nice work on the coach and a great idea to update when the VP44 dies. At that time upgrade it also for a little more kick under your foot!! I know I would!!

Hey all, it's me again.  Another tranny question.  I'm painting some of the plastic molding pieces around the front windshield and other area's around the dash that have yellowed.  When I took off the panel that houses the computer and shift control (6 speed push button with mode button) I noticed a cut ORANGE wire.  I'm not sure if this is intentional or was cut during installation or during a repair.  The computer wasn't mounted, just sitting inside the panel.  Can anyone tell me if I should hook it back up.  If it was done intentionally I don't want to fry something.  Everything is working properly that I know of except turn signals and reverse lights.  Shifts fine and lights up at night.  Any idea's.  I'm thinking about leaving as is!

Allison pic of cut wire.jpg