Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Acadia/Maine Mountains/Nova Scotia

Question

We are starting to plan our NEastern States visit for late summer/early fall (August/September). Goal is to reach Acadia National Park and spend a couple of weeks there and/or at the small towns on the East Coast of Main.

Maybe also visit some FMCA friends at Nova Scotia.

My questions to other members:

1. Would you drive all the way to Acadia and do day visits to the other towns, or would it be too far due to smaller roads and traffic? Normally we "park" and visit towns under 2 hrs. away.

2. Or would it be better to "park" at a more southern town for about a week or two and then go up to Acadia for another week or two? Normally we leave the c/g around noon and visit in the afternoons. (C/G recommendations??)

We are seniors, taking it easy... no rush, just enjoying the views, the towns, their people.

Thank you for your input!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

'04 Coachmen/Concord 28' w/tow

Gainesville, FL

6 answers to this question

I am not sure if I fully understand your question, but I will try and answer as best I can. I have been visiting the coast of Maine since childhood, and currently we own property on Mount Desert Island, or MDI as the island encompassing most of Acadia National Park is known. This part of Maine is particularly beautiful any time of the year (even in January), but especially so in the high season of August and September.

There are many campgrounds on the island, the National Park service runs two, there are two KOA's and several other private campgrounds. I have never stayed in any of them, so I have no direct experience with any of them. You will be visiting during the "busy" season, so my recommendation would be to make reservations early. If you stay on island, you will be closer to the island activities, you can use your car, or use the free island shuttle to get around the island. The shuttle is particularly advantageous if you go to Barr Harbor, as parking can be tight at times. There is RV Parking just outside of Barr Harbor, space available, no overnight parking, and you will need to walk to the center of town. Staying on island has another advantage in that you would avoid the summer on/off traffic over the one bridge onto the island. In summer it can take over an hour to drive into Ellsworth, a drive with can be done in about thirty minutes during the calmer months.

I don't know how physically active you are, but one of the highlights of Acadia are all the hiking trails. Trails on the island range from arduous (Cadilac Mountain, and the Beehive for example,) to gentle strolls through the gardens of Asticou. Make sure you get out and experience Acadia. A week is not enough, but will give you a taste of Down East Maine. You said you want to see towns and meet the people. A few of the villages on the island you should visit besides Barr Harbor are, Northeast Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Somesville, Seal Harbor, Seal Cove (for the auto museum), Bass Harbor, and Islesford. The last you will need to go by boat. Unless you rent one, you will need to take the mail boat from either Northeast Harbor, or Southwest Harbor, but it is well worth the effort to get there.

After all these years, we are still finding new trails and new experiences. Your 28' Coachman should be small enough to get most of the places you would want to go outside of the park. Do not take the park loop road, as there are many low bridges which you may not fit under! I have seen 40'+ class A coaches on the main island roads, but these are usually limited to going to and from the various campgrounds. I hope you enjoy your time in Maine.

You have certainly answered my question, specially with your comment on the bridge crossing. I am already falling in love with the island! Most probably I will plan to be almost two weeks at the island and probably one more in the mainland.

Thank you so much!

Jocelynn

We are going to Maine, Bar Harbor in July 15 from Ocala Fl. & then to Niagara Falls, Looking for the best routes!

Thanks Tom!

Last travel season after leaving the FMCA Reunion in Perry, GA we traveled up the eastern coast of the US. When we were in Maine we stayed at the following RV Campgrounds:

1) Moody Beach, 266 Post Road, Wells, ME ( we used one of our RV Campground memberships)

2) Mt. Desert Narrows Camping Resort, 1219 State Hiw 3, Bar harbor, ME (we used Ready Camp Go Membership)

3) Narrows To Camping Resort, 1150 Bar Harbor Road, Trenton, ME (We used Ready Camp Go Membership) This resort fit our Motorhome needs and size better than Mr. Desert Narrows. We travel in a 40' motorhome.

We were in Maine for a month.

We traveled around the areas by car after parking the coach.

We took a Lighthouse tour. Up until 2015 the tour company only did it once a year, for 2015 they will be doing it for two dates. Bar Harbor Whale Watch co, 1 West St., Bar Harbor, ME 04609 (207) 288-2386 or 1-888-WHALES 'Grand Slam" Lighthouse tour 17 Lighthouses seen from a huge catamaran.

Another tour company you need to check out is at www.svboattours.com/boat.html.

Don't forget to stop and tour the Lobster Hatchery on the island. Very interesting.

Another place to visit is Ray Murphy Chainsaw Show outside Hancock, ME. 734 Hwy 1.

Have fun, enjoy yourself and eat, eat fresh crab and lobster.

Shelia W :)

Chainsaw Sawyer Artist Live Show Address:
map3-30x30.png
734 US Hwy 1, Hancock, ME Directions: Chainsaw Sawyer Artist Live Show. On the north side of US Hwy 1, just west of its intersection with Hwy 182. Hours: June-Sept. E-mail chainsawray [@] hotmail.com for show times.- See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/18090#sthash.lFTl6ANA.dpuf

We were at Acadia NP in Sept 2013. Parked at Bar Harbor Campground which we found to be good for us. No reservations so get there shortly after noon and get a good place. Huge campground with lots of wooded and open sites. Also views of the water in some sites.

We stayed there and took the toad to Acadia several days. And as you are asking, we used the toad to range as far south as Thomaston, and as far north as Jonesport. Lots of bays and small towns to explore and lots of lobster to eat (cheap!) Going as far north and south as we did was about the limit i would want to go. There is so much to enjoy along the way that we definitely dont want to rush through it. So next time...we would take time and stop at several more towns along the way.

Also do not forget to go to the northern section of Acadia - Schoodic Point. While MDI was crowded, there was almost no one at Schoodic Point. And I have to say that comming from the flat coastal beaches of the Carolinas, the rocky coastal scenery was breath taking!

we was in Maine at Eastport last July 5, remember Arthur, the hurricane, well we set through the storm and left a day or two after to make sure the roads were clear. We wanted to visit PEI so we drove the MH towing the car. We made it to PEi and usually we went to town to get out and away from the bugs, but we enjoyed the island other than the pesky bugs.

We took the south ferry from Pei TO Nova Scotia, went north to the Highlands and then south, we have friends in Margaretsville and stayed with them 3 days. After driving and towing if I was to ever go again to Nova Scotia I would leave my coach in Maine, take the ferry to the west coast and stay in hotels.

The drive going up to Ingonish is terrible, the roads are narrow and rough, the trucks never cease, I think they wait until you get about half through the turns and then attack, go up the east side to the Highlands. We stayed at Broad Cove at Ingonish, sites were OK but we had to change because of low trees. we drove over to Cheticamp on the west side, much better.

The north Highlands are beautiful but the south has more stuff to see outside of mountains, lots of history, be sure and go to Lunenburg and Peggy;s cove area, Halifax is ok but mostly a city with lots of traffic, hard to get around but worth some time. We enjoyed our trip and stay about 3 weeks, really not enough time.

Also in the south roads are so much better and wide enough for a big rig. if you do drive your MH besure and spend a little time in New Brunswick, we stayed at the a campground in St. Martins, Century Farms Family Campground, looking over the Fundy Bay. Be sure and visit the old store in St. Martins and visit with the ladies that own, great history lesson.

One other thing, as I mentioned we stayed in Eastport Maine, not to far from Bar Harbor, some interesting local history and a great 4th of July parade