Sign in to follow this  
bmoverbay

Trailers

We are considering getting an enclosed trailer for our toad and 45 foot motorhome. Currently we tow a Jeep Wrangler, 4 down, but want a trailer for the Jeep and for some of the toys we would like to have with us as a full timer. For those of you with tow a trailer, would you be willing to comment on the following questions:

1. Are there campgrounds, particularly Federal and State Parks, Corps of Engineer and other public lands, that don't allow trailers?

2. What do you do with the trailer once you get to a campground, if there isn't enough room on the site for the motorhome and the trailer?

3. What is the difference between towing a car, 4 down, and a 20' to 22' trailer; specifically how well does a trailer track around corners or in cross winds?

4. If you had to do it again, would you haul a trailer?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

OWV, Our Wandering View

Entegra 2014 Anthem 44B

bmmoverbay,

I don't know of any State or National that could handle a 65' plus unit. Plus a 20 foot trailer is close to 25' long, including the tongue and hitch and would be over the limit for most states. However you do see some on the road. There are some campgrounds that have 75 to 80' sites but I would expect them to be few and far between. At both Area and National Rallies they have designated areas for trailers and dollies.

Herman

I agree with State & National Parks, also most RV Parks. With a Jeep Wrangler 2 door as my toad, I'm at or slightly over the 65' limit in Texas, but each State has their own length limits. Anyone who has a 45' and a truck is beyond the 65'!

A Staker trailer, has a different hook up for towing and attaches to a ball on back off bus. A 20 footer would be about 67' to 68'. Stakers are also close to the same height of bus. The down side is that they are heavy, expensive and triple axel. Unless you plan on staying in a Park for less than 3 months at a time, I would not bother. You really need 2 sites and both of them pull-thru.

I have never had a problem with 4 wheels down and don't need a pull-thru!

Good luck on full timing.

Carl

My first car was on a trailer because it was an automatic. It was a big pain in the neck because of having to find a place to park it and move it there with the motorhome.

I have been towing a 16' (20' overall) flatbed trailer for over 10 years and 4-down for 3. I rarely have a problem finding a RV park with a site long enough (59') to accommodate my length, you just have to plan ahead. At your length you are going to have problems finding sites. As for towing a trailer I am more comfortable with it than than 4-down but it is more weight and maintenance.

I prefer towing a trailer, because I can back the trailer. My bus is 41 feet, and the trailer is 19 including the tongue. Most state and some federal parks that I go to allow me to park the trailer in a parking lot. If not available I can usually locate a facility close by that will allow me to rent a space for a small fee, as mentioned earlier, plan ahead.