RVPA

Do You Use Your Dishwasher?

We are ordering a new coach. It is just my wife & I. We plan on using the coach to travel about 6 weeks at a time.

We were at both Hershey & Tampa RV shows & most people we spoke with said they don't use it except for storage. If you ARE NOT FULL TIME do you find you use the dishwasher? Would you order it or would you rather have the storage?

BTW: we are ordering a Newmar 43' Dutch Star

My wife would prefer the storage that a dishwasher would take up. We full time now but she did not want one prior to that although we had one in each of our past 4 homes.

Our coach came with a washer/dryer combo but we removed it - capacity is way too small unless you want to wash everyday. But that is just our feelings - others would not want to do without it.

We are ordering a new coach. It is just my wife & I. We plan on using the coach to travel about 6 weeks at a time.

We were at both Hershey & Tampa RV shows & most people we spoke with said they don't use it except for storage. If you ARE NOT FULL TIME do you find you use the dishwasher? Would you order it or would you rather have the storage?

BTW: we are ordering a Newmar 43' Dutch Star

Welcome to the forum. I think from the replies so far you can see a trend. I think that this is something that sounds great but most end up using it as a storage. We kind of thought the same way about the washer. Well after one trip it became a "must have".

Bill

We are glad we did not get the dishwasher instead opting for the storage. The extra water usage going to the gray tank in addition to the clothes washer would have been just too much. Plus, we just don't have that many dishes to do.

Don

If you are on the road traveling from one place to another, then the dishwasher might not be useful. If you tend to go to a destination and stay for weeks at a time, you wouldn't have to worry about the water usage and gray tank storage. It also depends on how much you use the kitchen. I've known people who never use their stove. They eat out all the time! They wouldn't need a dishwasher. Think about your individual habits. Do you use a dishwasher at home? Do you cook most of your meals on the road?

You are getting a 43 foot coach, do you really need additional storage space or would you use the dishwasher? I see so many different ways that people travel, many assume everyone does the same things, goes to the same destinations, have the same needs. It simply isn't true. We are all different in our preferences. You can read the responses here but I think the answer has to be yours depending on your own needs and travel plans. We were full time for 10 years and still on the road. We've never had a dishwasher but we have had and couldn't stand to travel without a clothes washer/dryer. Who wants to sit in laundromats doing laundry all the time? Throw it in the machine and go somewhere for the day. Dishes would be the same. Washing dishes is busy work. There are better things to do. At least you don't have to go to a dishomat to do the dishes if you don't have a dishwasher!

We have a dishwasher at home, and not in the motorhome. My wife washes the dishes at home thoroughly then puts them into the dishwasher, and I stand there looking dumbfounded???? In the motorhome, she washes them thoroughly, then puts them into the cabinet, and I smile!!!!

Kay...LOL.

I have washer and drier, staked. Love it. As for dishwasher, I tried it a couple of times after throwing a dinner party. Did not like it, so now it is storage for all paper products. I can wash dishes, pots and pans (after feeding 5 friends and me) in 30 minutes or less and I know they are clean.

Show the dishwasher to a woman, who has none and they want it! Will they use it? Have only met one! The rest, use it mostly for storing pots.

Good luck and enjoy the trips!

Carl

We have had a dishwasher in all three of our coaches. I am the driver and dryer while my wife is the washer and passenger. This works well and doesn't take up and storage space however some time it still get tight when the slide is in. But heck at our age it is a time to get close. :wub:

Herman

I should have added in the first post, if I can afford the diesel for the trip, then paper plates and solo cups are cheap, If dw does have to wash dishes after steaks are cooked, she deserves the next two meals out.

Happy trails, Kay

We are FT, so cannot speak to someone just using the coach 6 weeks per year, but we would NOT be without the dishwasher. We started out washing all dishes by hand, but after several months doing this decided to use the dishwasher on occasion. Now we use it at least once per day. It generally takes at least 2 meals to fill the dishwasher.

Think about it, how hot do you have your water when washing by hand? Most of us do not wash our dishes in hot water. We use water we can stand to hold our hands in. The water in the dishwater is HOT! We flush off loose food in the sink (we catch the loose food in the basket and put it in the trash rather than in the grey tank), then put the dishes in the dishwasher. We feel this does a better job of washing and sanitizing the dirty dishes. Plus this is easier on my hands. My DW does most of the cooking, and I do most of the cleaning.

Now that we have an outside kitchen, that may change some, because I do most of the grilling.

If we have guests, quite often we use paper plates because we always eat outside with the guests.

We feel that with a large coach, we have plenty of storage in the kitchen, and would really miss the dishwasher. We will ALWAYS look for a replacement with a dishwasher!

The wife hasn't used our dish washer yet at home or in the coach. She would rather wash by hand. If it's left up to me i'm at least going to try it out for sure don't make sence to me not to use what you have avalible.

I use Corell plates for all hot food and wash by hand, with HD Latex gloves. Also, only use plastic spoon for Blue Bell ice cream. Can't stand plastic knife and fork! It's just me, so why carry a bunch of dishes in dishwasher around until I get a full load?

As a caveat, Corell will break in HOT water. :(

Well, I also use Corelle plates, bowls, cups, etc. and have never had one break in hot water. All have gone through our dishwasher numerous times. None have faded or cracked, and come out sparking clean.

We use our dishwasher all the time. We are ordering a new coach with a slim line dishwasher, full height 18" wide. I would rather be doing something else than washing dishes.

We are on our fifth RV, never had a D/W and don't want one. Much rather have the storage space. However, washer/dryer is mandatory.

Allegiance40x,

OK, got to ask, is D/W:

Dear Wife (yes, you are in trouble)

Dish Washer (you will probably be doing dishes for the foreseeable future.

RVPA.

Now that you have the opinion of a bunch of males...you really need to ask the wife! :D

You said "travel 6 weeks at a time". What does the coach do the other 46 weeks? Are you in it for more than 6 weeks? Like a campground.

When I'm home, I use my dishwashers all the time!

Carl

I just asked my DW (Dear Wife by the way) and she said if I ever try to buy a coach without a D/W (Dishwasher) she will give me serious problems. I might find myself sleeping on the couch.

RVPA.

Now that you have the opinion of a bunch of males...you really need to ask the wife! :D

You said "travel 6 weeks at a time". What does the coach do the other 46 weeks? Are you in it for more than 6 weeks? Like a campground.

When I'm home, I use my dishwashers all the time!

Carl

I think you miss read it....

I said we will be use the coach about 6 weeks at a time... not just one trip a year. We will be making a few trips a year. Some trips may be 2 or 3 weeks & other trips could be 8 or 10 weeks.

I can see where part timers do not use the dishwasher as often, but we will never be without one. We had a dishwasher in our SB that was used every day, and the dishwasher in our coach is used every day. I guess you do what you are accustomed to doing. The dishwasher tends to save us time to do other more enjoyable things.

Allegiance40x,

OK, got to ask, is D/W:

Dear Wife (yes, you are in trouble)

Dish Washer (you will probably be doing dishes for the foreseeable future.

D/W, in this case, is dish washer. However, the D/W (dear wife) has a D/W (dish washer)...me! :(