RVPA

Do You Use Your Dishwasher?

This is interesting. It has been 8 days since the original posting. We have with this comment, 20 comments with a nice variety of opinions and supporting ideas. We're having conversations among ourselves and nothing from RVPA, the original poster. We can thank him or her for starting a good conversation on the topic of dishwashers. Just wondering if he/she is reading any of this?

Three of us travel and we like to cook so we generate more dirty dishes than some. We have a F&P single drawer dish washer and we use it a few times a week rather than spending the time doing dishes. Since we don't boondock, the amount of water going to the grey tank is not an issue.

I have a Fisher Paykell dishdrawer, and use it a lot.

I like it. It only holds about 2 meals worth of dishes, so it fills up quickly enough that it is fairly full, and run each night that I am cooking in.

I like to use real plates, and not cut through a steak to find I have eaten a lot of the paper plate. I know that I can stack my steak, and use one peice as a cutting board to avoid cutting into the plates, but really, just use the dishwasher. It takes about 90 minutes on heavy cycle. I do not need to rinse the dishes going in, and they come out clean. Now I guess if they sat there for a week, then rinsing on the way in will prevent food from gluing itself to the plates. I think that the 140F hot water in the RV helps clean the dishes very well.

I would not have a RV without a oven. I guess I like my cornbread to much to give up the oven and home cooked meals. I might start eating out more when I full time again. That could change things. .

After one trip in our 1999 Beaver Marquis, my wife, who's 6' tall complained about the fact that the sink is beneath cabinets and being 6'3" I already knew it and the awkwardness of doing the dishes by hand, but what to do?

Since we used the counter to the right of the sink for the dish drainer and nothing else, then she suggested getting one of those counter top dishwashers. Checking the specs (being concerned about filling the gray tank), I found that these things only use 3 gallons of water and based on our use (once a day since they are that large), we could afford 3 gallons a day as we probably used about that anyway washing/rinsing by hand.

We got it, it sits where the drainer used to, and I fished the water supply down through the former soap dispenser hole already in the corian countertop and tee connected to the pex hot water line and added a shutoff valve inline then allowed the drain line to drain into the sink. I put a wood platform beneath trimmed with oak and colored like the rest of the wood in the coach, used a non slip mat beneath the wood platform and the dishwasher stays put. We even ran it once while traveling although we did notice a bit of a leak through the door after we stopped, so we don't do that any more.

Bottom line...wife is happy!

The Fisher Paykel dishwasher in a drawer only uses 1.9 gallons per cycle, which is way less than I would use handwashing most dishes. SO, even boondocking, we will be okay doing the occasional load in the F & P for glasses and silverware, etc, interspersed with some paper plate usage. Good to go!

Roy

The female contingent LOVEs the dishwasher, but never uses it!!! Purely a selling point.

We travel 4-5 months a year, love to cook, but virtually never use the DW, but the Washer/Dryer get used all the time.

I'm contemplating removing the DW and keeping it to reinstall when we're ready to sell!

My wife uses here dishwasher, but my two legs get tired standing at the sink after a long wash.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

We have a DW, we tried it once, not worth the time and water, then we started storing chip, crackers and such, that worked until one the grandsons walked by an pushed a button. Not we use it for what it was intended to do, we store our dishes in there and they travel really quite.

I would not spend the money again on a dishwasher, but I will have to say there is a lot more room in the cabinets with the dish storage unit with no water hooked up only electricity to lock it closed. Now that I think about it maybe you should get a dish storage unit, it holds more dishes in the rack with less rattle than the cabinet.

Good Luck

Welcome to the forum. I think from the replies so far you can see a trend. I think that this is something that sounds great but most end up using it as a storage. We kind of thought the same way about the washer. Well after one trip it became a "must have".

Bill

Yes we use ours all the time. No need to do dishes all the time to keep counter clear. Stay for 4 mo. at a time. Uses less water with it .

4 hours ago, rbtate said:

Can you use it while driving down the road?

That is a good question. I never had one but I would bet you can if it is connected to a inverter circuit or you would need to run the generator to power it.

Bill

I tried the old one & yes it will run on Generator, just make sure you have empty gray and plenty of fresh water...I could not get mine to run on inverter only!  Same with Washing machine and dryer!  Now, we use the Dishwasher for paper plate storage & 2 Wine glasses! :lol:

3 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

That is a good question. I never had one but I would bet you can if it is connected to a inverter circuit or you would need to run the generator to power it.

Bill

We've run ours while driving down the road.

On 6/27/2020 at 7:37 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

So it is being powered by the inverter?

Bill

Ours is.  It was an aftermarket install, and is on the same circuit as the fridge which is powered by the inverter.  But, we always travel with the generator on automatic, so if the current load on the batteries is too much, the generator kicks in.

2 hours ago, Gary Roe said:

For those that use the optional line in hookup, do I need to keep faucet on through the wash cycle? Or can I take it off after it fills tank?

Try again, what optional line in hookup? "do I need to keep faucet on through the wash cycle? Or can I take it off after it fills tank?" What faucet and what tank?

Bill

We have the Vesta dish washer and it does a great job on short cycle and uses less water then we would washing the dishes by hand.

Ken

Bill, I presume he fills his fresh water tank and wants to wash running down the Hwy.  We do our laundry that way sometimes.  Or do you have to keep it HU on faucet at park with valve open.  Both ways work, depending on size of holding tank!

If he means anything else, then I'm confused.